Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts
    Windows 7 64Bit with Konica Minolta Drivers

Had an interesting problem with Windows 7 today and just thought that I might share what I learned.

When using Windows 7 64Bit with the new Konica Minolta devices (Empron's) and running 32Bit applications such as Office 2007, the Pop-Up Authentication dialogue boxs appears behind the application nine times out of ten when using the PCL or PS driver.

When this happens, users being users just start clicking on everything until the application freezes even though you can select the dialogue box from the task bar. Every now and then the box will appear in front of the application and everything works as it should.

What I found is that if you run the 32Bit application with administrative rights (explain how to enable that shortly), then the dialogue box will always appear on top of the application. I also tested 64Bit applications such as IE, Notepad and Wordpad (IE has a 64Bit exe and the other two are 64Bit out of the box as they are inbuilt into Windows) and didn't have a problem at all.

To enable a program with administrative rights, do the following:

1. Find the program or a shortcut to the program
    2. Right-click on the program / shortcut and go to 'Properties'
    3. Click on the 'Compatability' tab
    4. Down the bottom, there should be 'Run with administrative rights'. Tick this box.

I have spoken to Konica Minolta and they explained that the privlages for the print system are now split from the Print Spool service in Windows Vista and Windows 7 and can cause some funny issues.

They suggested the use of the XPS driver as the XPS PDL is native to Microsoft, it should cause alot less issues and maybe even improve printing speeds. I am going to test the XPS driver tomorrow and shall let everyone know how it goes.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts

Ok, so that XPS driver didn't change a thing.

At the moment, the site is still working fine as a registry hack has been deployed to all Windows 7 laptops which sets the Admin Privs for the office applications.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Thanks for that interesting info.

Hans