Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Re: Scan to SMB Win 7 home

Try uninstalling Windows Live Essentials.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

mjarbar

I have noticed that you are using Win 7 Home edition but as I understand it scanning to SMB requires a domain type network setting which the 'Home' edition does not support.

You have said that the virtual XP does work so can I ask what version of XP you are using? If it is professional this was designed for networks as you know and would work.

Just my 2c's

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

The Home editions of Windows 7 cannot join a domain, but they can be part of a workgroup. Samba and CIFS both support workgroups and domain connections so that's not the issue.

Make sure the network setting for the computer is set with the network as either a Home or Work network. You may also want to change the workgroup name to something other than 'workgroup' in order to make sure that the two are properly communicating.

Does the MFP allow you to do a network browse?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmussener View Post
    I do not know which machine you use to analyze, but some machines can not scan to SMB to a Windows 7. I know some older machines have a Ricoh updates firmwarebefore you can scan for Windows 7.
    This would normaly be an authenication issues, i work Konica minolta Machines and you sometimes need to set the machine to NTLM V2 authenication in SMB
    just as a check

in the scan button
    1. enter IP/ hostname
    2. enter scan UNC Path e.g data\scans
    3. enter username
    4. enter password
    5. check share permissions on the scan folder e.g give the user you are authenicating with full permissions
    6. maybe (but not normally) give full permissions under the security tab

Senior Tech 250+ Posts tjvincent's Avatar

Does anyone know how to set up a 2nd static address on the workstation if you have to use the IP address when the host name won't work ? We get it to scan by using the workstations IP, problem is since the workstation uses DHCP it eventually changes and then you loose the ability to scan to that workstation.

Use Alternate Configuration.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts tjvincent's Avatar

I tried that but i couldnt see it creating a 2nd IP when i did "ipconfig/all"

Service Manager 100+ Posts

Just to add to the whole win 7 scan to folder issues. Maybe this will help, Win 7 has to have folders shared in 2 ways. The 1st way is sharing the folder locally on the PC and the 2nd is sharing it on the network. The user credentials the copier is using has to have permissions for both. When you setup a folder for scanning, it has to be setup twice, once for the network share with all the permissions set under the sharing tab and then second shared locally with permissions under the security tab. It won't work if it isn't shared both ways.

Where I think most of the problems occur is not setting up the network share/permissions but the local permissions. It can get tricky when the share is in one of the "home" folders, or if there is only one user and you use their credentials, or the different ways to add the share in win7, or different versions of win 7. In these cases the local permissions maybe already there and the network share setup is all that is needed, like having only 1 user on the PC. Or depending on the version of win 7 some folders will already have a group called "authenticated users" under the security tab. Sharing with everyone might work most of the time even if it isn't the best security. But even that can fail if the user credentials the copier is using isn't listed under the group "everyone" on the local PC. Adding a share by "right clicking>share with>" or "right clicking> properties> sharing> share" will automatically add the user to the security tab. In this way the simple sharing is better than the advanced sharing.

However you setup the share just be sure to check that the user credentials have permissions in both tabs, sharing and security.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MFPTech View Post
    Thanks for the pdfs, will try to set the scope for remote ip to any ip and will let you know.
    Forgot to mention that I am trying to set up scan to folder on my Laptop that runs Win 7 Home using a crossover cable. I also run a Virtual PC using XP and had no problem scaning to SMB on XP.
    MFPTech,
    i know this post is a little old, but most new laptops NICs have an automatic crossover cable feature and a regular cat5 would be simpler to configure for. can you print to, ping, and reach the web page or the MFP?

-colgrimes
    Skelton Business Equipment Houston Copiers

fmorda

Try uninstalling Windows Live Essentials. This will work. I had the same issue installing a Toshiba 3040c.