Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts
    SNMP Counter Software

SNMP Counter Software

This is just an idea that I have been throwing around in my head for a while and that is to create a little piece of software that keeps track of machine counters using SNMP and publishing for anyone to use for free.

Can somebody please stop me if there is already a bit of software that can do this now before I get too excited?

Basically, all meter reading can be obtained from machines on the network via SNMP (which alot of you would already know). It is just a matter of knowing the OID for the total, mono and colour readings (Object Identification). You would be able to put the IP address of machines in to this software (manufacturer independant) and then retrieve the meter readings to be put into a .CSV file.

The idea of keeping it simple means not wizz bang awesome options, but something that anyone can modify or build on to what they need. Basically under a GNU Licence which says you can do anything you want with the software, as long as you credit the original authors.

I am pretty good with SNMP, but I'm not that good with say something like C+ to create a light GUI. Would there be anyone willing to have a crack at this and help to create this? I think this would help alot of users to try and understand their print usage, as well as help some IT people.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Technician

Re: SNMP Counter Software

Many manufacturers already have a version of this, such as Ricoh's Smart device Monitor, HP Jetadmin, or Sharp's SRDM. A low-profile, generic tool would be nice, but don't expect to get rich off of it.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    SNMP Counter Software

Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    This is just an idea that I have been throwing around in my head for a while and that is to create a little piece of software that keeps track of machine counters using SNMP and publishing for anyone to use for free.

Can somebody please stop me if there is already a bit of software that can do this now before I get too excited?

Basically, all meter reading can be obtained from machines on the network via SNMP (which alot of you would already know). It is just a matter of knowing the OID for the total, mono and colour readings (Object Identification). You would be able to put the IP address of machines in to this software (manufacturer independant) and then retrieve the meter readings to be put into a .CSV file.

The idea of keeping it simple means not wizz bang awesome options, but something that anyone can modify or build on to what they need. Basically under a GNU Licence which says you can do anything you want with the software, as long as you credit the original authors.

I am pretty good with SNMP, but I'm not that good with say something like C+ to create a light GUI. Would there be anyone willing to have a crack at this and help to create this? I think this would help alot of users to try and understand their print usage, as well as help some IT people.
    Owl, I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for or not, but it might be worth a look. PrintTracker - Managed Print Services Meter Read Tools
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    SNMP Counter Software

I beleive that OKI has something like this available to dealers. It's called DCA, and gets the basic MIB info from all printers on a network. Unfortunatly it's customized for each deployment and not for free distribution as far as I know.
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

SNMP Counter Software

Quote Originally Posted by alp View Post
    Many manufacturers already have a version of this, such as Ricoh's Smart device Monitor, HP Jetadmin, or Sharp's SRDM. A low-profile, generic tool would be nice, but don't expect to get rich off of it.
    Like I stated in the first post, I want to be able to publish it under a GNU Licence which is free to all to obtain and modify as long as the orginal code is credited to the authors.

I am going for a manufacturer independant piece of code which at the end of the day I could quite easily just write a script for, but a little GUI would make it that much nicer.

SNMP Counter Software

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    Owl, I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for or not, but it might be worth a look. PrintTracker - Managed Print Services Meter Read Tools
    Similar to that, but free. Probably not as complicated either.

Alot of customers might have 1 copier and 2 printers and what I want to be able to do is to get the meter readings from them so that they can then catalouge that data, or create their own spreedsheets with formulas to quickly get averages and so on.

Alot of software gives you that information straight off the bat, but is then harder to manipulate. If I can just get a simple .CSV for the users to view, they can then edit the data how they wish or simply use to say "Here are my meter readings".

SNMP Counter Software

Quote Originally Posted by Tonerbomb View Post
    I beleive that OKI has something like this available to dealers. It's called DCA, and gets the basic MIB info from all printers on a network. Unfortunatly it's customized for each deployment and not for free distribution as far as I know.
    The MIB's contain information specific to a manufacturer which can then allow you to do some pretty cool stuff which I won't mention as it can also be used in the wrong way. Konica Minolta for example won't give out their MIB, Toshiba will but you have to sign a non-disclosure statement and so on.

Nearly all printers conform to the RFC 1759 MIB which allows you access to basic information in the Public Community String such as, meter reading, print marker level (toner/ink remaining), doors that are open and so on.

My tool only needs to use the RFC 1759 MIB because I just want meter readings.

I know this is super old, but I just found it via Google. I have created a POC (proof-of-concept) for Kyocera color copiers. I don't have a Kyocera copier anymore to show data/that it works, but this is the POC GUI I was playing with.

poc_copy_count.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post

Can you please share it with me? thanks in advance kashiftoseef@gmail.com

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kashiftoseef View Post
    Can you please share it with me? thanks in advance kashiftoseef@gmail.com
    The OP hasn't even been on CTN since March of 2015, so I seriously doubt he's monitoring anything here anymore.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.