Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Scan to e-mail SSL MPC2550

Need to know of the Ricoh MP C2550 supports SSL. I know the MPC 2500/3000 and MPC 3500/4500 will not. I was told the series ending with "1" (3001, 2551, etc. ) will but have also been told that the MPC2550 supports SSL as well. What does it mean when you click on the SSL under "security" and it says this : "SSL/TLS is unavailable without device certificate installation". Here is the scenario: I deliver a Ricoh MPC2500 and the guy tealls me his server is offsite (back at corporate) and cannot use a non-secure (Yahoo, Gmail, etc.) to transmit docs. because of security/liablilty issues so I tell him this machine (MPC2500) does not support SSL. I bring the machine back and tell my boss the MP2550 WILL support SLL. Still not sure if it will or not and don't know what the message "SSL/TLS is unavailable without device certificate installation". means. Any help would be apprecaited.

Re: Scan to e-mail SSL MPC2550

Unless your customer or his IT department provides you with an SSL certificate you won't be going anywhere with it. I believe you have to update it through SDM or the Web Image Manager, but I have never had a need for it... You could, as an alternative, try stunnel.

Also, you could make your own certificate.

Ralph S

If you do NOT see the TLS/SSL on the touchscreen of the MFP under User Tools : System Settings : File Transfer : SMTP Server, then your machine will NOT provide SSL/TLS authentication to their server. If it does, it will be fixed to a specific port (465 I think) so if their server is a t 587, then you are still stuck. If you can see the prot # on teh touchscreen, then you can set it to the proper port. Examine a MPc3502 or older MPc3501 and you will see a differance.

That is not to say that it cannot PASS email thru their server, but they would have to make an exception in their relay options, or make a new connector for this specific MFP's IP address. This will probably not be allowed as it too is a vilolation of security principals.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thank you RalphS. I looked under filre transfer: SMTP:, no SSL/TLS tabs. Looks like this one does not scan to a secure server. Appreciate the help.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Just a thought, but would the PDF encryption the device allows for scan to email be enough to meet their security standards? Yes, it's not being sent over a secure channel, but if the document itself is secure does that mitigate the risk to any extent?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts kannuki2's Avatar

Well, you should recommend him to scan to a Secured FTP server like FILEZILLA

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Turns out the customer is okay with PDF encryption. Does the machine still need a device certificate installed to use it? I have operation manuals one and two and have read through them but still very confused on how to set it up. The customer is using Hostgator for his e-mail server and I am able to send e-mails from the machine using the server name and log-in credential using port 25. Just not sure how to set up PDF encryption. Thanks in advance for any help. Will be in the office this weekend to figure it out as the delivery is on Monday.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

The device does encryption at the document level and password protects the file. No SSL or other certificates are required, but the recipient will need the password to open the file.

I don't have a machine handy so this is just going off the instructions from the manual:

At the scanner screen, for the file type, select PDF and then go to:Security Settings>Encryption>Encrypt Document. Set that to On, then choose a password, confirm it, and then choose the encryption level of either 40 bit or 128 bit (I'd recommend the latter) and then press OK twice to confirm.

Depending on how thorough you want to be, you could try saving this as a Programmed preset, but that would always use the same password. The customer's IT may want a new password to be used every time, but you can leave that up to them to determine.

Technician

I would try creating a Gmail account, using smtp.gmail.com on port 587 which uses TLS over SSL. Also of course use SMTP authentication and all should be working just fine

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aquintasii View Post
    I would try creating a Gmail account, using smtp.gmail.com on port 587 which uses TLS over SSL. Also of course use SMTP authentication and all should be working just fine
    This will not work. If a Ricoh doesn't support SSL, it also won't support TLS. The newest "02's" *might* support TLS, but definitely support SSL.