Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Cool Re: All in one I.T. Tech software.

I appreciate the idea of such a program.

With that said; how would you control who had access to this knowledge data base? Maybe I missed something but if customers have access to the tools and knowledge of our trade, why would they need a tech?

I am a junior tech, I do ask a lot of dumb questions, but I learn from my mistakes. Nothing can take the place of a senior techs help.

Also, having all the tools in one place is a great idea. You still need to know what to do with them.

Re: All in one I.T. Tech software.

Quote Originally Posted by wseyller View Post
    another useful feature that non IT guys have trouble with is creating shares for smb scanning.

Basically require the share name and maybe advanced options to assign permissions certain user/groups such as the current user or the everyone group.

Also have it display the current username and the hostname/IP address after creation which will be needed for configuration at the copier.

Also a tool to test SMTP server settings.
    Kyocera copiers have a built in connection test for SMTP. Once you set your SMTP settings, you run the connection test to check your settings. Other brands may need this, solid point.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy View Post

With that said; how would you control who had access to this knowledge data base? Maybe I missed something but if customers have access to the tools and knowledge of our trade, why would they need a tech?

I am a junior tech, I do ask a lot of dumb questions, but I learn from my mistakes. Nothing can take the place of a senior techs help.

Also, having all the tools in one place is a great idea. You still need to know what to do with them.
    Like any tools from any given trade, only an experience person or trademans knows how to use those tools to complete a job safely. And there is sometimes accidents when tools are operated outside their bounds or from in experience.
    Inexperience is sometimes a good teacher...
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Quote Originally Posted by wseyller View Post
    another useful feature that non IT guys have trouble with is creating shares for smb scanning.

Basically require the share name and maybe advanced options to assign permissions certain user/groups such as the current user or the everyone group.

Also have it display the current username and the hostname/IP address after creation which will be needed for configuration at the copier.

Also a tool to test SMTP server settings.
    I've lost my CTN "give thanks" button again. The above should be covered along with some other general ideas.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

There are plenty that don't have a built in test. Helpful to also have a tester on a laptop that I can connect to a customers network to verify if problem is with the copier or the customers network/servers. It wouldn't be useful in every situation I've seen a use for it at times.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Like any tools from any given trade, only an experience person or trademans knows how to use those tools to complete a job safely. And there is sometimes accidents when tools are operated outside their bounds or from in experience.
    Inexperience is sometimes a good teacher...
    Agreed

We should see an IT-toolbox POC version in a week or so...

See how the enthusiasm holds up.....

I might need a couple of beta testers.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Kyocera copiers have a built in connection test for SMTP. Once you set your SMTP settings, you run the connection test to check your settings. Other brands may need this, solid point.
    Our business not to long ago started selling Kyocera MFP's in addition to Ricoh/Savin.

I give Kyocera a *BIG THUMBS UP!* for being able to test SMB and SMTP configuration from the WIM/Command Center!...the only little gripe I have is the hex code it returns if not configured properly!...I have since swiped a page out of Kyo Tech Support manual with the codes (thanks to CutePDF Writer!) to put the PDF of codes on my iPhone!

Also, another little interesting thing I found out is that in iCloud, if you open notes, create a new note and then proceed to copy and paste your text & graphics to it, it will keep the graphics and formatting when it syncs back to your iPhone!

Example:

access

Shows up on the iPhone as:

IMG_1760.jpg

Notice the "inline graphics"!

The IT-toolbox program won't be available for I-phone, it will only run on a windows PC.

The program will only give out the software response you place into it.
    Example, if you program a key/button function for notepad.exe you are not going to get a ping response on the display.
    What you program into the IT-toolbox is fully up to you. The program is design for you to carry all your favourite software in one place. It is fully programmable by you yourself. If you don't know how to use your own software the toolbox app won't be any help to you. It will allow you to swap toolbox's with other people and use thier advanced skill set or problem solving software.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    All in one I.T. Tech software.

I volunteer. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=