Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    to alcohol or not to alcohol

Re: to alcohol or not to alcohol

Alcohol is great for getting ink off of glass and covers. Alcohol is great for removing the oily residue, after you've removed label adhesive from a drum or transfer belt with orange oil cleaner. Alcohol is good for soaking out thick grease from one way bearings, before you re-oil them. Alcohol is good for cleaning electrical contacts or circuit board traces. In the rare case that I clean a corona wire, alcohol on a cotton swab works nicely.

But not rollers. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 250+ Posts SwisSeV's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eliaso View Post
    try this
    small garlic with a drops of vinegar and drops olive oil
    You stole my recipe for pick-up roller salad.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    A In the rare case that I clean a corona wire, alcohol on a cotton swab works nicely.

But not rollers. =^..^=
    Mr. blackcat. Do you mean you use alcohol alone to clean the corona wire and grid and your greyscale are good. I could never get alcohol to clean those corona wires properly. when i clean and do a greyscale print out, it will show it clean some areas perfect and a line here and there. go back and clean and the line will show up somewhere else. I think i may have found the secret to corona cleaning, but will have to charge everyone 5 cents to disclose that.
    What's your secret or method sir ?.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

No great secret. Unless the wire is new, you won't get that perfect gradation. The only time cleaning corona wires does any good is if it's part of AIO unit that does not disassemble, and total unit replacement is the only alternative.

But I'll pay my 5 cents to hear the secret. What do you do? =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by Konicoz View Post
    Good morning everyone.

In our small group of technicians a question has been raised that has left us divided and undecided. I need your experience and wisdom to settle this question
    'Is using alcohol to clean rubber feed rollers on printers / copiers good long term?' we are talking normal use paper dust cleaning.......only one rule --not production machines.....

answers like -if you don't have anything else or if they have some kind of stuff on them doesn't count, we are talking everyday use..

Thanks guys and gals
    Nifty or alcohol work great for me and roller material lasts well beyond the replacement life of the roller itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Are you making a vinaigrette or cleaning feed rollers? =^..^=
    mix them and you will see the different , do it ,and we will talk
    This only have I found:
    God created mankind upright,
    but they have gone in search of many schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by eliaso View Post
    mix them and you will see the different , do it ,and we will talk

Well guys the man does have a point. I had some vinegar mixed with water that i used for a few things here. I pour some out and put some triflow minus the garlic and again the man has a point. The only thing is the inclined chemist will have to analyse if the chemistry would do any harm to the rubber.
    but seriously this works great, it cleans those white pinch rollers like butter.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    Well guys the man does have a point. I had some vinegar mixed with water that i used for a few things here. I pour some out and put some triflow minus the garlic and again the man has a point. The only thing is the inclined chemist will have to analyse if the chemistry would do any harm to the rubber.
    but seriously this works great, it cleans those white pinch rollers like butter.
    An update to the above. I was trying out this thing on some used parts and it seems to work great. Only thing is it seemed like the mixture looked like oil mixed with water at first. I was a bit curious at how it made everything look clean and new. Then i thought if it was oil residue that was causing that effect. So i went to giggle and below is a explanation. Sitting at my bench, the mixture does have a smell of vinegar and if garlic is added then the aroma might be too much. But it does remove dirt.

An emulsion is a suspension of two liquids that normally do not stay mixed, like oil and vinegar. Normally, if one pours oil into vinegar, the oil will float on top of the vinegar. Oil is less dense than vinegar. However, the main reason why this happens is because oil is a non-polar substance, and vinegar is a polar one. Substances with dissimilar molecular structures do not interact easily.
    In order to keep this separation of liquids from occurring, it is necessary to whisk the oil and vinegar together, forming a temporary emulsion. Still, the temporary emulsion will eventually separate into two layers of the original liquids. For a permanent emulsion, an emulsifying agent is necessary to molecularly hold these immiscible liquids together.

An emulsion is a suspension of two liquids that normally do not stay mixed, like oil and vinegar. Normally, if one pours oil into vinegar, the oil will float on top of the vinegar. Oil is less dense than vinegar. However, the main reason why this happens is because oil is a non-polar substance, and vinegar is a polar one. Substances with dissimilar molecular structures do not interact easily.
    In order to keep this separation of liquids from occurring, it is necessary to whisk the oil and vinegar together, forming a temporary emulsion. Still, the temporary emulsion will eventually separate into two layers of the original liquids. For a permanent emulsion, an emulsifying agent is necessary to molecularly hold these immiscible liquids together.
    That's called a colloidal suspension. The two substances seem to mix, but never really do. Given a few minutes it will separate back out into layers.
    =^..^=

Hello brother
    not all believe in simplicity
    This only have I found:
    God created mankind upright,
    but they have gone in search of many schemes.