Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    to alcohol or not to alcohol

Re: to alcohol or not to alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by JPiek View Post
    No alcohol use here either, on rubber rollers that is... i use Platenclene, PCL100...
    Alcohol only for contacts, or in a glass in the evening
    Careful what type of alcohol you put in that glass. Some can be lethal.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    Mr. blackcat. Do you mean you use alcohol alone to clean the corona wire and grid and your greyscale are good. I could never get alcohol to clean those corona wires properly. when i clean and do a greyscale print out, it will show it clean some areas perfect and a line here and there. go back and clean and the line will show up somewhere else. I think i may have found the secret to corona cleaning, but will have to charge everyone 5 cents to disclose that.
    What's your secret or method sir ?.
    If you have a really stead hand, you can clean corona wires with the eraser end of a wooden pencil. You should then use the alcohol soaked cotton swab to finish the job. A couple of things to remember, be prepared to replace the wire should it break and always use only swabs that are cotton on either wood or paper sticks, long wooden ones can be obtained medical supply stores. Synthetic tips and plastic sticks can leave an undesirable film on the wire.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Years ago before West Coast Platen Supply/Ames Supply went out of business you could get what ever cleaner you needed from them. One of the products they sold was rubber rejuvenators. One of the brands was Fedron, still available from Amazon. Amazon.com: Fedron 8 oz Rubber Cleaner, Rejuvenator, For Graphic Arts & Business Machines Rubber Rollers Feed Roller Systems Computer Printers (ink jet-Laser) Copiers Duplicating Machines Packaging Machines Time Clocks Digital, Coding, Numbering, Printing and Processing Equipment, Mail Room Equipment, Mechanical Parts, Electric/Electronic Machines, Computer Micro Chips, Computer Accessories and Parts, Military Equipment & Machines, Any Machine that uses Paper Needs Fedron

I the past Ricoh used to put a small bottle of waterless hand cleaner in their PM kits. They worked great on rollers as well as hands. Contained pumice that helped loosen stuck on crud and lanolin that kept it from drying out hands and rollers. Later they replaced the waterless cleaner with Scrubs wipes. Also good for cleaning rollers. Scrubs are available from Amazon, Granger, Uline and number of other outlet. Just search scrubs hand wipes. Also good if you work on duplicators to get the ink off your hands and the covers.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    If you have a really stead hand, you can clean corona wires with the eraser end of a wooden pencil. You should then use the alcohol soaked cotton swab to finish the job. A couple of things to remember, be prepared to replace the wire should it break and always use only swabs that are cotton on either wood or paper sticks, long wooden ones can be obtained medical supply stores. Synthetic tips and plastic sticks can leave an undesirable film on the wire.

Back in the day I would use a typewriter eraser. The eraser has more grittiness than a regular eraser. I haven't seen a corona wire in years, though.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Kyocera recommend Alcohol for their feed rollers.I usually use Sel-Sol for rollers and Windex for coronas and charge rollers.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

WD40 to clean the DF pick up rollers because they rarely wear out & paper tray rollers I replace because cleaning is only temporary.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Technician

I clean the rollers using only a wet microfiber cloth.
    Sometimes I wash them with water and liquid soap (like the ones in Risograph).

Stefano