Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    jasoncpe

Kyocera 2050 vs Canon Imageclass High End Junk??

Not sure if I can ask that here, but hopefully you all can provide some help. I'd like opinions from techs since you all know the machines best from the real standpoint of reliability/quality/durability. Heres the story:

About to purchase a new machine which will be initially for a home office printing not more than 3,000 per month, but will eventually be moved into a work office where it will see much heavier usage.

Must have 11 x 17 platen, and be able to print (primarily), copy (quite a bit), Scan in color to files (a lot of that also), and do some telephone faxing.

Was looking at the Kyocera KM 2050, the Canon MF 7470, and the recentaly discontinued Canon MF 7280 (which I understand was only produced for one year-What gives???

One thing I don't like about the canon is I see the scanner only does 300 x 300 DPI (which is weird since the discontinued 7280 that it replaces did 600 x 600).

Can you give me an opinion on the technical quality? I was very close to buying the Canon, then heard that the ImageClass is really "junk" and that only the Image Runner series was much good. THis is a $2500 machine, so for that price; I certainly do not want "junk". I already checked the Xerox offering and theirs did not have the scan to pc capability in this price range).

Not sure if Konica Minolta has anything; but as long as they are good machines; both the Canon and Kyocera look like they will work.

Oh, also I noticed the Canon has a 50,000 page rating where the Kyocera is 20,000 page...not sure if that is true or if Canon has ambitious marketing...

Thanks,

Jason

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Kyocera 2050 vs Canon Imageclass High End Junk??

Well you can start by cutting those cpm ratings in half. 50k per month on the Canon is ridiculous!

I only see the Kyocera products, and they're not bad, but if you really think that you'll be increasing volume to 20K per month you'll kill these desktop machines.

You're better off with a KM-2560. It's got all the same features, and much more reliably built. Sorry, I don't know which Canon product might compare. Just step up to the segment 3 machine. You'll be much happier. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts peterepeat's Avatar
    I would have to second what Blackcat says. We service both the Canon and Kyocera lines and I would unequivocally say that the ImageClass series is total junk. If you've done your homework you'll notice that they dropped their warranties from 3 years to 1 year cuz they were losing their collective shirts, which means you won't see the price of supplies dropping anytime soon. Their features are great but they are all plastic and cheaply built. The KM-2050 does not scan in color as you requested but it's replacement, the KM-2560 that Blackcat suggested does. I'll sum it all up this way..... Last week I visited a 2050 for it's first service call. 16 months, 173k. No calls. And it was 23k over it's recommended PM interval. You can't ask for any more than that.

jasoncpe
    Thank you both. I checked out the Kyocera 2560, but it is apparently no where near the same league in price (MSRP over 6000 and the scanner and ADF are extra). So, while that model may be better, it looks like that would be out of my league for now closer to comparing with a different Canon model.

I did speak to Canon directly, and they came back after checing with there in house engineers (supposedly) and said that particular model is actually built the same as the Image Runner series. I am going to guess this might not be entirely true...I certainly expect the 50,000 rating to be exagerated. Although if it could do 25,000 pages (really and not half of that); then it might be still a decent machine for what it will be used for.

I just hope there is some truth to what I was told by Canon and that it is not all plastic etc. 2500 is a lot for a cheaply constructed machine.

Has any one serviced this actual model or the predescessor MF7280? That would be a good way to know if I am being told the truth about how it is built since you'd have seen the insides.

Thanks again.

Jason

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts peterepeat's Avatar
    Yes the ImageClass is built on the ImageRunner series.....the LOW-end IR series. Still junk. The major difference between the 2 Canons are the image formation systems. Check out what your supplies[toner, etc] will cost you and the yield and also maintenance[drum,fuser, etc] for the Canon IC vs Canon IR vs Kyocera. Think long term cost of ownership. Better yet, visit a few dealers and actually touch the machines.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Like PPs have said the imageClass series is based upon the imageRunner series. The difference? Other than supplies is that the ImageRunner series actually work well.

I don't have anything nice to say about the Kyoceras and my mother taught me not to saying anything at all if I have nothing nice to say

jasoncpe
    Thank you all. Well, I checked around some more and simply could not find another unit in this price range (2500) that could do the things I need:

Primarily print
    Network color scan
    Fax
    Copy
    two sided document handling
    11x17 platen and ADF

On the basis that at least initially this will be for home office use and maybe not see too heavy usage (and taking Canon's 50,000 rating and cutting it in half and thinking that would be our worst case in the near future; I ended up going with the canon and finished hooking it up yesterday.

Dissappointments:
    1) Shipping box says "Made in China". As soon as I saw that I started to wonder if I should have done something else (but I don't know what.

2) Some of the specifications are wrong on the manufacturers web site. For example, this does not do automatic answering or manual fax mode even though the web site says it does. Only the 6760 has the additional jacks for that from what I understand.

3) Installations instructions are not entirely accurate.

4) It is certainly all plastic on the inside, no doubt I need to handle it gently.

5) Had a jam already (all paper was properly loaded); it was about the 15 or 20th sheet I had printed.

Resolutions:
    Issue #1: A true dissappointment. Guess we'll wait and see.
    Issue #2: I resolved by adding an aftermarked automatic switch.
    Issue #3: Just made for a day of lost time and purchase of an expensive cable that I didn't need.
    Issue #4: Jury still out.
    Issue #5: Hope this doesn't continue. As long as this doesn't continue to be a problem; I think everything will be good.

Thanks all for your help. Since we will be purchasing or leasing a couple machines for our office over the next year (higher capacity true business machines); I would be interested in knowing what the majority of opinions are on who makes really good quality machines. I am leaning towards Xerox or (hate to have to say) something made in Japan. Sounds like we have at least one person here that does not think high of Kyocera. How is Konica?