Thread: pay grade

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    pay grade

pay grade

ok i am just curious about this if anyone is willing to reply. i am from a small town and have worked for 2 different copier companies. the latest and largest only has 4 techs. first place i worked 5 years as a kyocera tech. and occasional odd machine here and there. current location is lexmark and ricoh dealership where i have been for almost 4 years. i am a certified tech on both brands. and i am also a brother tech. being from a small area i know that i don't make near what the bigger cities make. and have found a new job that i am considering in a much larger city. but what is the pay comparison? what does a new guy start out making? and what does one with experience start out making in the bigger city areas? i would be going from a town of less than 20,000 to one of almost 200,000. as this would involve a move and a new job any input would be greatly appreciated in perhaps helping me make my decision. i believe that since the new place is larger they have dedicated techs for new installs, networking, service, and repairs back at the office. since we are such a small business i have the experience in all those areas. though i don't know it all, i am not beyond asking my co-workers for assistance. and i will pick up the phone and call lexmark or ricoh when needed. so dare i journey into this new adventure?

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    pay grade

Re: pay grade

If you find out the average tech pay for that area, make a deal with the owner that you will accept that pay for 3-6 months, and if you have exceeded their expectations, you would want a review with an equivalent pay raise.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Always do the interview. See what they offer? Than compare . Sometimes it not worth changing company's for a few dollars. Lesson learned. Are happy where you are? I changed from a company I worked for 24 years why, Change in ownership treated the employees like crap no raise for 3 years and necessity overhead. I was a manager but I could have stayed and been unhappy or leave and be happy. Good Luck Most company's will try to pay as little as possible. Ask for what you want, vacation time , healthcare, 401K, company car etc.....

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    pay grade

You should also consider the cost of living in the new area. It is generally higher in larger cities, but see what they offer and do your research. Taking the same salary as you have now, might be a pay cut to live in a larger metropolitan area.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Senior Tech 100+ Posts BaconSteve's Avatar

Without doing the math, my guess would be for someone with your experience would be around 30k. I would advise you call other service companies in the bigger city and ask to speak with either HR or a service manager, and let them know you’re interested in moving and ask if they may be hiring. It’s worth a shot. Like that you could have competing offers. As far as having dedicated techs for installs/networking/etc... it depends, but not likely. I work for a very large company, we are all expected to work on just about every clanging pile of crap on up to production color. I’ve managed to evade working on wide format but probably not for long. Also EVERYONE is expected to do installs and networking. Although clearly every tech has their strengths and weaknesses and sometimes good managers bias call assignments based on knowing their techs well... not always or as often as would be ideal. It sounds like you’re a bright individual with a good attitude so you should do well. I’ve been in this business for 30+ years and all I can say is, I should have listened to my mother and become a doctor, lol, meh, it’s a living.

Always good news if one of those companies approach you.
    These guys are negotiators by nature and will try to negotiate to the lowest point.
    With a populous or 200K people they were sure to have run in to a good amount of idiots and bull shiters.
    That is what ruins it for real worthy techs, you are just a another unknown...

Money talks! Get what you need on black and white then move from there.
    Living in Africa $30K US would be nice!
    Whatever