Technician

Company changing email servers-- any thoughts on avoiding headaches?

My company is debating switching to GSuite for our email provider-- or perhaps outlook. Our current provider is just not reliable, a lot of delayed transmissions, and days where emails just don't seem to send/receive-- and since we often use our servers as a placeholder for customers who do not have their own, this looks really awful when demonstrating the scan-to-email functions of newly installed copiers.

The problem is that we have thousands of machines configured to report via email using our current server, and I'm trying to conceive of a way to remedy this, that will not necessarily require a visit to each and every copier, but I am coming up short.

I'm pretty sure it's not going to be possibel to get around, but I am hoping someone here might be a bit more knowledgeable than myself in such matters.

So far I've been researching whether or not it's possible to get a custom Gsuite SMTP server (in which case perhaps we could rig it so our current config just reports to the new Gmail accounts instead,) buyt that doesn't seem possible. Also been researching possible methods of "rerouting" email, but it only seems to work "internally" if that makes any sense?

Anyway I would appreciate any input you guys might have.`

Re: Company changing email servers-- any thoughts on avoiding headaches?

If you use one email account for your meters you can just forward to your new email.

If you switch to different email make sure you equipment supports it.

and since we often use our servers as a placeholder for customers who do not have their own

If your using your current email for customers email it is NOT Recommend do to privacy and HIPPA.
    Customers email should always be configured to use their SMTP servers.
    Last edited by bsm2; 09-05-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    If you use one email account for your meters you can just forward to your new email.

If you switch to different email make sure you equipment supports it.

and since we often use our servers as a placeholder for customers who do not have their own

If your using your current email for customers email it is NOT Recommend do to privacy and HIPPA.
    Customers email should always be configured to use their SMTP servers.
    I'm aware of privacy concerns, the email in questions is configured to automatically and permanently delete anything that lands in the outbox-- also, these sorts of functions are only ever used for very small churches and shops and other organizations with none of their own IT.

Also, what specifically were you referring to when you mention the equipment compatability?

I assume you're not referring to the actual copiers themselves, but perhaps the database software we use?

Quote Originally Posted by Xer0615 View Post
    I'm aware of privacy concerns, the email in questions is configured to automatically and permanently delete anything that lands in the outbox-- also, these sorts of functions are only ever used for very small churches and shops and other organizations with none of their own IT.

That does not get you off the hook as some email requirements require storage of all emails for 5 to 7 years. Good Luck.

No IT should not be problem, have the customer setup a gmail or other email account.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    That does not get you off the hook as some email requirements require storage of all emails for 5 to 7 years. Good Luck.

No IT should not be problem, have the customer setup a gmail or other email account.
    These are people who do not even know what SMTP servers are, with no contracted/local IT personnel. And it is only ever done by request. Only after exhausting other options do we really explore that avenue-- and they are aware of issues that may occur as a result.

Apparently you don't interface with the customers that often. Getting a 70 year old woman who works at a church to sign up for an email is like pulling teeth. Not only that but many times when we attempt to do so, Google requires phone verification. All of this has been thought of, and used.

What Information is Protected Under HIPAA Law?

Not sure why you're making a stink out of this, we surely wouldn't use it anywhere with HIPAA regulations in place. But thanks for your input I guess?

Just passing on GOOD information as I have worked for two of the largest copier companies in the world and one did the same until the company got a letter from a law firm.

I 've NEVER have had a problem getting it done the correct way and have done thousands of installs in the last 40 years. Good Luck.

Email Retention Laws in the United States - Web Filtering

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

I have a Gmail account set up for every printer I'm going to install. Obviously if there are more printers in the same company, I use the same account.

The customer must keep the email and password.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

The problem is that we have thousands of machines configured to report via email using our current server, and I'm trying to conceive of a way to remedy this, that will not necessarily require a visit to each and every copier, but I am coming up short.
    As bsm2 mentioned, your current email provider can be configured to automatically forward all incoming emails to another email address. Setup a gmail account and then configure the existing account that machines report to forward all email to that gmail account, this has to be done through your current providers web interface. You can then change each customer on your next service visit.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

he email in questions is configured to automatically and permanently delete anything that lands in the outbox
    That is not a setting of your email provider, it is a setting in your email program on your PC. Anyone who sets their email program that way is an idiot. What happens if immediately after downloading an important email, your Pc crashes and you can no longer access the email stored on it.

Also, what specifically were you referring to when you mention the equipment compatability?

I assume you're not referring to the actual copiers themselves, but perhaps the database software we use?
    Whether the copiers support TLS which is now required by most SMTP servers.