Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Konica Minolta vs. Toshiba

Re: Konica Minolta vs. Toshiba

Konica Minolta: user friendly, tech friendly, inexpensive to run, and way too many good things to list!

Toshiba: Light fuse get away !!!!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

I work with several dealers who represent both Konica Minolta and Toshiba product in 2020 across Canada.

It is common for Konica Minolta dealers to say they are amazed that when they put out a current model Toshiba they never have to come back for many months.

I have many Toshiba's in the field that run extremely well way past their PM cycles making these machines very profitable for dealers.

The problem with Konica Minolta is they will promise you the moon but never back up their promises. They are now too big and represent so many product lines that to some extent they seem to have lost their focus. Just review the debates on the Konica Minolta thread about their new iSeries copiers.

While Konica Minolta has the lock on Production copiers the Toshiba's are superior to the Konica Minolta's in almost any SMB business situation. KM does have the edge in the rare situation where you need a trifold brochure.

All of the blabber about dissing Toshiba earlier in this thread is from technicians who have likely not worked on a Toshiba copier since the eBridge Next line came out in 2016.

The Toshiba LCD panel has much superior customization capabilities. Toshiba's app integration with Office 365 is superior to Konica Minolta's.

IT Managers comment that they prefer the Toshiba web browser to Konica Minolta's.

You will not find a Toshiba dealer who plans to give up the product line for a different copier vendor. If you do, they always comeback in about two years when all of those promises do not come true.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonSBE View Post
    We know that Konica Minolta is the superior product, we aren't looking to replace it. We are looking to add Toshiba as a second brand for state sales(KM does not active bidding for state sales in my state) and a cheaper alternative for customers that don't want to pay the premium. We would probably be doing mostly black and white with Toshiba.
    Toshiba colour quality is excellent and equal to any copier vendor in the market. Toshiba no longer offers Fiery as an option as it represents only a small % of potential sales.

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    OK, if you didn't get Phil answer let me try again.
    -
    -
    -
    Toshiba copiers are easy to repair. The ease of swapping out the paper feed system in the paper drawers is way superior to Konica Minolta.

I'm not going to go to my boss and tell him that we shouldn't consider a brand because of a movie quote.

If you worked with Toshiba, how long ago was it? What kind of problems did you find they had? Specifically the black and white lines. Are they user-friendly? Did you ever have to do any network troubleshooting with them? Setting up folder/email scanning?
    I often place Toshiba product in places like a pharmacy as print for convenience pay and watch people approach the copier and with no interaction from anyone quickly figure out how to use the copier without assistance.

A dirty slit glass or worn out rollers and blades will cause lines on copier just like any other copier brand.

I network troubleshoot Toshiba's via TeamViewer and in person almost every day. The most common request is my scan to email is not working. It is not the copiers fault. Something else changed on the customers network.

Setting up scan to network folder requires some skill. No more than on a KM.

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    I second a lot of what most say so far about Toshiba. I have been working on copiers since '94 and worked on Toshiba when they had the Estudio 20 series introduced. That series was not too bad, but it seems Toshiba copiers IMO are not well thought out as far as tech friendliness, most recent Turdshiba boxes I worked on seemed cheaply put together and had strange jam/no jam issues and their HDD's fail often and are way more expensive than any other HDD on the market but could only use their expensive HDD to get them working. I just walked into a real estate office and was told that they are going to be replacing their Konica Minolta with a Toshiba from their other office...little do they know what they are about to do, replace their 284e with a estudio 2550....lmao! Some sales person sure feed them a line of crap!
    If your boss is going to add these to your line you will see how cheaply made they are, failing HDD's, broken adf handles, and not too tech friendly to replace maintenance items, connectivity, etc., but you get what you pay for. Turdshiba is on top of my list of worst mfp's made along with Xerox, Samsux and Okidata.
    This tech has obviously not worked on a new Toshiba box since 2016.

The HDD issue has been resolved. Yes the HDDs are more 50% more expensive than off the shelf HDDs but they rarely fail now.

I predict like the new Konica Minolta iSeries copiers, in approx may 2020 Toshiba will refresh the product line with SSDs. Toshiba is a world leader, Top 3 tier player having inventing many new storage technologies (like the SSD).

Toshiba dominates the global automotive HDD market.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    ok i guess I should have explained it better.

ANY toshiba I have worked on IMHO was a piece of SHIT!

PM cycles on the color units were CRAZY! 300-350 for one section 600 for another and 800 for another.
    most times the 600 group didn't make it to 450pgs. so you do the 330 group.. not the 600pg and then you get another call in no time.

We ALWAYS used Tosh parts/kits but the customers were not happy. Some times the corp stock would be on BKO because they were crap.

Toshiba .. samsux and some xerox were again IMHO POS's!.

you asked for suggestions I gave mine

for what it's worth

I have worked on most major brands over the 31+ years in industry.

and YES as service manager for that company I handled the network end of it .. email..scanning etc

from looking at some threads here, they haven't seemed to improved the product much.

frankly the A3=A4 xerox (todays lines) seem to have better results as long as the tech is competent.

You boss might want to look into wide format or a good label line. Epson Murtec respectively
    In all of the nonsense spoken above, one good point was made. Toshiba offers an excellent label printer line #3 in the world. Label printers are an excellent source of recurring revenue(labels and ribbons) with very few skilled players in your local market.

Toshiba Point of Sale line (formerly IBM) is #1 in the world. Prove it to yourself and walk into any big box retailer like WalMart and look for the name plate on their point of sale devices.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

If you worked with Toshiba, how long ago was it? What kind of problems did you find they had? Specifically the black and white lines. Are they user-friendly? Did you ever have to do any network troubleshooting with them? Setting up folder/email scanning?
    It was quite long time ago. I guess I quit when eBridge 2 machines came, something like 10 years before. Even nowadays I still work occasionally on few newer Toshiba.
    I don't know today Toshiba line but their first 2-3 generations of color machines were very tricky to maintain and poor designed. As for B&W lineup midrange Toshiba were Ok.
    I have a lot of problems with many Toshiba models dropping developer, dumping toner, many-many parts to replace. So for example, at midrange Toshiba I have to PM 3 times fuser with PM kits and with KM you just change 1 Fuser unit.
    If they don't print much with KM you can forget about Fuser 4-5 years, but with Toshiba that wasn't the case. KM engine and controller seems very solid. As for networking, etc they're comparable it really depends on tech IT skills not the machine. I read BC says today Toshiba models haven't many HDD failures but at my time they fail a lot.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

By picking up Toshiba as a 2nd line, Konica Minolta will hopefully pay your dealership a lot more respect with better pricing and more promotional $.

If not, let Toshiba eat their cake.

Back in Japan, Toshiba & KM eye each other constantly. Product development often mirrors the other.

For example, Toshiba invented the thin wall induction heating heat rollers. KM copied it the next generation of copiers.

As far as end user customer loyalty goes, some will stick with KM but most want the best deal.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    This tech has obviously not worked on a new Toshiba box since 2016.

The HDD issue has been resolved. Yes the HDDs are more 50% more expensive than off the shelf HDDs but they rarely fail now.

I predict like the new Konica Minolta iSeries copiers, in approx may 2020 Toshiba will refresh the product line with SSDs. Toshiba is a world leader, Top 3 tier player having inventing many new storage technologies (like the SSD).

Toshiba dominates the global automotive HDD market.
    It's been a while since I have worked on a Toshiba. Maybe I should re-evaluate them, I know I disliked working on Konica Minolta's back in the mid to late 90's, but they improved their product since then.