Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Konica Minolta vs. Toshiba

Any techs that have worked on both lines? The company I work for is considering picking up Toshiba as a second line to offer a lower-cost alternative, as well as get into state sales. How would you compare their image quality, maintenance needs, and ease of repair? Any feedback would be wonderful.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Konica Minolta vs. Toshiba

run forest RUN!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Toshiba was my first brand and maybe I learned 90% of my skills from there(hint). But KM are far better in office color machines, also high end machines. You will have rough times if need to switch from KM to Toshiba.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Toshiba was my first brand and maybe I learned 90% of my skills from there(hint). But KM are far better in office color machines, also high end machines. You will have rough times if need to switch from KM to Toshiba.

We know that Konica Minolta is the superior product, we aren't looking to replace it. We are looking to add Toshiba as a second brand for state sales(KM does not active bidding for state sales in my state) and a cheaper alternative for customers that don't want to pay the premium. We would probably be doing mostly black and white with Toshiba.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JasonSBE View Post
    How would you compare their image quality, maintenance needs, and ease of repair?
    OK, if you didn't get Phil answer let me try again.
    -
    -
    -
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Toshiba color is currently comparable with KM.

**this is me sitting at the keyboard trying to say something enlightening, but nothing is coming to me**

Toshiba still rebuilds fuser, drum, and developing units. KM does not.
    I guess I'd have to say that they are different but equal.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    OK, if you didn't get Phil answer let me try again.
    -
    -
    -
    I'm not going to go to my boss and tell him that we shouldn't consider a brand because of a movie quote.

If you worked with Toshiba, how long ago was it? What kind of problems did you find they had? Specifically the black and white lines. Are they user-friendly? Did you ever have to do any network troubleshooting with them? Setting up folder/email scanning?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

On the 4508, 4518 series' the engine is basically solid. The first items to fail before the PM are the upper fuser roller at 100K, the lower drum seal and the charge grid at 150K (then the PM at 210K). If you close the trays hard you'll get a yellow triangle instead of the paper size indication. If you close the trays GENTLE it works fine.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JasonSBE View Post
    I'm not going to go to my boss and tell him that we shouldn't consider a brand because of a movie quote.

If you worked with Toshiba, how long ago was it? What kind of problems did you find they had? Specifically the black and white lines. Are they user-friendly? Did you ever have to do any network troubleshooting with them? Setting up folder/email scanning?
    ok i guess I should have explained it better.

ANY toshiba I have worked on IMHO was a piece of SHIT!

PM cycles on the color units were CRAZY! 300-350 for one section 600 for another and 800 for another.
    most times the 600 group didn't make it to 450pgs. so you do the 330 group.. not the 600pg and then you get another call in no time.

We ALWAYS used Tosh parts/kits but the customers were not happy. Some times the corp stock would be on BKO because they were crap.

Toshiba .. samsux and some xerox were again IMHO POS's!.

you asked for suggestions I gave mine

for what it's worth

I have worked on most major brands over the 31+ years in industry.

and YES as service manager for that company I handled the network end of it .. email..scanning etc

from looking at some threads here, they haven't seemed to improved the product much.

frankly the A3=A4 xerox (todays lines) seem to have better results as long as the tech is competent.

You boss might want to look into wide format or a good label line. Epson Murtec respectively

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I second a lot of what most say so far about Toshiba. I have been working on copiers since '94 and worked on Toshiba when they had the Estudio 20 series introduced. That series was not too bad, but it seems Toshiba copiers IMO are not well thought out as far as tech friendliness, most recent Turdshiba boxes I worked on seemed cheaply put together and had strange jam/no jam issues and their HDD's fail often and are way more expensive than any other HDD on the market but could only use their expensive HDD to get them working. I just walked into a real estate office and was told that they are going to be replacing their Konica Minolta with a Toshiba from their other office...little do they know what they are about to do, replace their 284e with a estudio 2550....lmao! Some sales person sure feed them a line of crap!
    If your boss is going to add these to your line you will see how cheaply made they are, failing HDD's, broken adf handles, and not too tech friendly to replace maintenance items, connectivity, etc., but you get what you pay for. Turdshiba is on top of my list of worst mfp's made along with Xerox, Samsux and Okidata.
    Last edited by copiertec; 02-21-2020 at 02:19 AM.