Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    The Worst Paper I Have Ever Seen

Walmart special: "pen+ GEAR" 20lb 92 Bright is by far the worst paper I have had the misfortune see in action.

The paper had brown spots all over probably 50% of the sheets I looked at. This of course was intermittent and was a real CQ head-scratcher before I inspected the paper itself multiple times. The stokers I assume at Walmart (as opposed to the mill) cut through several reams. The boxes looked like they had been thrown off a moving vehicle. Many of the reams had damage to the paper (edges). And of course, emblazoned on every side of the box are the words "Made in the USA Factory Certified" (sigh...).

I will say it didn't jam much and didn't appear to have any abnormal paper-dust.

Just thought I would share and perhaps start a conversation of papers to avoid? And perhaps preferences?
    Last edited by Synaux; 02-23-2020 at 06:49 AM.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: The Worst Paper I Have Ever Seen

I had an occurrence years ago where one of our hospitals called that one of their machines was jamming constantly. When I got there I noticed that the jammed sheets had a 1 inch overlap about 2 inches from the lead edge. On further inspection, the overlap occurred before the paper was cut to size. After inspecting the paper in the tray I found that every tenth sheet had the overlap. Every ream in the case was the same, you could feel the thicker area where the overlap was at. Luckily the hospital had just gotten a pallet of paper and only 2 more cases were the same lot number. This was on a Saturday. Purchasing said they would take it up with the supplier on Monday.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Some of the best paper I have seen was at the print shop for Taft City Schools. A few years prior they had decided it was going to be less expensive to have almost all materials used to be printed in house than to order it from state approved suppliers. They hired an experienced press operator and purchased equipment. At the time I retired they had 2 production Ricohs. The print shop ordered paper by the truckload. The operator had found a supplier that provided paper that was actually milled in Australia. Excellent quality with very little if any curl, bright white and very little paper dust.

Watch out for Amazon.com paper! Labeled with Amazon on it. Literally wrinkled When you pull it out of the wrapping. Saw this “brand” of paper the other day. I will try to get back to that customer to get a picture soon.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Come on guys, the days of blaming paper is long past. Use to blame paper for everything, ha-ha.

I just don't see many issues with paper like the old days. Perhaps excessive paper dust and some curl but not much for jamming. Of course all paper is different with some being better but most is the same to me, crap or just ok. I use to swear by Hammermill but even had issues with their paper. Think 99% of the companies are cheating us with the "rag content" they are putting into all this new 20lb paper. Use the least amount of pulp (rag) or recycled pulp, bleach the shit out of it to make "bright white". Then because it's not "real" paper it spews paper dust everywhere in machine.

Just my opinion.

Oh, not sure if anyone mentioned, the worse paper is WB Mason

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Come on guys, the days of blaming paper is long past. Use to blame paper for everything, ha-ha.

I just don't see many issues with paper like the old days. Perhaps excessive paper dust and some curl but not much for jamming. Of course all paper is different with some being better but most is the same to me, crap or just ok. I use to swear by Hammermill but even had issues with their paper. Think 99% of the companies are cheating us with the "rag content" they are putting into all this new 20lb paper. Use the least amount of pulp (rag) or recycled pulp, bleach the shit out of it to make "bright white". Then because it's not "real" paper it spews paper dust everywhere in machine.

Just my opinion.

Oh, not sure if anyone mentioned, the worse paper is WB Mason
    +1 For Hammermill for just about any stock they provide. They do have issues with the cut being slightly different from ream-to-ream (1-2mm). Pixelle GO seems good for 20lb too.

Never used WB Mason, heard talk about it here from time to time. You are right though, most modern problems are not paper-based (aside from dust), even carbonless (Excel and Nekoosa seem to be the best).

Here you open a ream and the paper is 3 mixed colors of off white..
    Mondy Ikaya paper.
    Whatever

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Synaux View Post
    Walmart special: "pen+ GEAR" 20lb 92 Bright is by far the worst paper I have had the misfortune see in action.

The paper had brown spots all over probably 50% of the sheets I looked at. This of course was intermittent and was a real CQ head-scratcher before I inspected the paper itself multiple times. The stokers I assume at Walmart (as opposed to the mill) cut through several reams. The boxes looked like they had been thrown off a moving vehicle. Many of the reams had damage to the paper (edges). And of course, emblazoned on every side of the box are the words "Made in the USA Factory Certified" (sigh...).

I will say it didn't jam much and didn't appear to have any abnormal paper-dust.

Just thought I would share and perhaps start a conversation of papers to avoid? And perhaps preferences?

Piers Morgan when he was editor of The mirror

(For my UK colleges.)

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Piers Morgan when he was editor of The mirror

(For my UK colleges.)

Here in Bakersfield we call him Pierced Organ.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Here in Bakersfield we call him Pierced Organ.
    Ah yes I must apologise I believe he’s moved across the pond?
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk