Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Re: How many of your customer's machines are open for hacking or exploitation?

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    If you do not have quality malware protection on you computer and your "USB" camera is connected it is accessible to hackers. I don't know about your computer but checking Device Manager on mine the VGA WebCam actually is a USB Video Device and hackers access built in webcams all the time.
    You are correct, a webcan is definitely not immune from being hacked if the hardware it is connected to has been compromised.

My answer of no was based on the original question of will a webcam show up in a Shodan search. If it's a standard webcam built into a laptop (or an all-in-one desktop) or connected to a PC via USB, it would not show up on a Shodan search.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    How many of your customer's machines are open for hacking or exploitation?

Quote Originally Posted by femaster View Post
    You are correct, a webcan is definitely not immune from being hacked if the hardware it is connected to has been compromised.

My answer of no was based on the original question of will a webcam show up in a Shodan search. If it's a standard webcam built into a laptop (or an all-in-one desktop) or connected to a PC via USB, it would not show up on a Shodan search.
    I have seen network switches and routers with USB ports primarily for networking low end printers with no network port. Would a USB camera connect to such a device be searchable?

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I have seen network switches and routers with USB ports primarily for networking low end printers with no network port. Would a USB camera connect to such a device be searchable?
    From my experience, the routers, that I've come across with a USB port only support 3 types of devices. 1) Low-end printers as you said, 2) USB storage devices (hard drive, flash drive, etc.), and on some of the higher-end routers, 3) a USB cellular (4G, etc.) device that would act as a fail-over if the main WAN (internet) connection were to go down. In general they wouldn't know what to do with a USB camera. Not to say that I'm familiar with every device out there, there could be some obscure unit that might work with a USB camera, but I don't know of any.

Those USB ports generally don't use an IP address for routing. I did connect an old Samsung USB printer to an Asus Router a few years back. It required special software to be installed on any PC that was going to print to that printer. It acted as an in-between (almost like a generic print driver) in order to facilitate the communication.

As for a USB storage device, this is designed to act sort of like a network attached storage, where it is can be accessible from the local network, and if desired, from the internet. Even this type of device I don't believe gets an internal IP address assigned to it. If remote access was enabled for the storage device, there is a very good chance it would show up in a search if you knew the right term to search for. It would be found on whatever the public IP address was that was assigned to the router by the ISP's modem.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    How many of your customer's machines are open for hacking or exploitation?

i just checked one. logged in with default passwords and everything. amazing the damage somone could do. plus even if u dont mess with settings nothing stopping u sending print jobs in full colour 2000 or so times.

why would they be setup like this, it has to be intentional? and if so why dont they atleast change default admin password and have user authentication turned on.

interesting site though. im temtped tojust warn all users in my area by printing out a page of contact info so i can offer advise

That is exactly what I was getting at. It's crazy that they just leave the machines hanging out therefor anybody to access. Most have all the default passwords still, so you pretty much take over the entire machine and hold it for ransom.

I'm not sure if all brands have this feature, but I know with newer Konica Minolta machines you can do a direct print to the machine through the web interface without the need to log into it at all. No print drivers or anything. Imagine the havoc people could cause. Could run the thing completely out of paper, burnning up tons of color toner, and possibly costing those that have a service contract with per page limits or fees a ton of money in overage charges.