Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Question Ricoh used vs HP new?

Hello!, I need a MF unit for school use (8yo studying at home), and I've been offered two machines:

Ricoh Aficio MP C306 (they mentioned 3306, probably it was a typo), reaconditioned for us$ 532 and an HP M479FDW MFP for us$ 640.

Expected usage:
    - copies
    - printing from phone & laptops through WiFi
    - Scan to share (NFS/CIFS?)

Which option will provide more value?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Ricoh used vs HP new?

Quote Originally Posted by lurker1652 View Post
    Hello!, I need a MF unit for school use (8yo studying at home), and I've been offered two machines:

Ricoh Aficio MP C306 (they mentioned 3306, probably it was a typo), reaconditioned for us$ 532 and an HP M479FDW MFP for us$ 640.

Expected usage:
    - copies
    - printing from phone & laptops through WiFi
    - Scan to share (NFS/CIFS?)

Which option will provide more value?
    well, chose the Ricoh MP C306 machine, moving along...

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Ricoh used vs HP new?

There could be costly consumable issues hidden inside the Ricoh. What is the black and colour meter read? You need to check if the optional wireless interface is included inside the copier. Then you have to figure out how to install it yourself and maintain it.

Is the HP in stock? The entire print industry has big supply chain issues right now especially in this price segment. Chances are the HP is on back order until June/July.

HP is likely to be more expensive to operate but both the Ricoh and the HP will be higher cost to operate at volume. You will have to figure out how to install the HP and maintain it yourself. HP does have the wireless card built in.

A new HP ships with 2,400 black and 2,100 colour pages at 5% coverage which means way less in reality. HP can have shortages of toner.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    There could be costly consumable issues hidden inside the Ricoh. What is the black and colour meter read? You need to check if the optional wireless interface is included inside the copier. Then you have to figure out how to install it yourself and maintain it.

Is the HP in stock? The entire print industry has big supply chain issues right now especially in this price segment. Chances are the HP is on back order until June/July.

HP is likely to be more expensive to operate but both the Ricoh and the HP will be higher cost to operate at volume. You will have to figure out how to install the HP and maintain it yourself. HP does have the wireless card built in.

A new HP ships with 2,400 black and 2,100 colour pages at 5% coverage which means way less in reality. HP can have shortages of toner.
    This reseller has "compatible" toner for us$ 43. Got a set for a first replacement.

It doesn't have the WiFi module installed. Is there a "cost effective" way to get it?. Also read about optional features like OCR, File format converter and XPS output. Are those effectively licenses?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Ricoh used vs HP new?

This reseller has "compatible" toner for us$ 43. Got a set for a first replacement.

It doesn't have the WiFi module installed. Is there a "cost effective" way to get it?. Also read about optional features like OCR, File format converter and XPS output. Are those effectively licenses?
    I do not sell Ricoh but I bet the WIFI kit if you can find it costs $500.00.

OCR feature add $300.00+

File format convertor - you probably do not need it.

XPS format - you do not need it.

Yes, these are probably licenses to unlock software already resident inside the copier.

Compatible colour toner. Bad choice.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

OCR feature add $300.00+

File format convertor - you probably do not need it.

XPS format - you do not need it.

Yes, these are probably licenses to unlock software already resident inside the copier.

Compatible colour toner. Bad choice.
    Well that definitely doesn't sound cost effective. Found an ebay item for us$170, still not something I would like to pay for a WiFi interface.

Well, for the compatible toner, that was what they had and I was unsure of the included cartridge levels. I'll look for the original ones for next cycle. What happens with the compatible ones?, what makes them a bad choice?, color quality?, do they damage the machine?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh used vs HP new?

Well that definitely doesn't sound cost effective. Found an ebay item for us$170, still not something I would like to pay for a WiFi interface.
    Any off the shelf wireless range extender will suffice.
    Connect it. plug in the machine. Done.
    Cheap!
    For example:
    TP-Link WiFi Extender TL-WA850RE - Covers up to 800 sq. ft. with N300 Wireless Signal Booster & Repeater (Up to 300Mbps Speed), Single Band 2.4Ghz only, and Compact Wall Plug Design: Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets

I use them all the time

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh used vs HP new?

I don't know any Ricoh dealers that use the "add in wifi kit." Too expensive, Too much trouble to install. And then you have to find a place to position ugly antenna where it will be out of sight and still work. Also the early ones only supported WEP even after WPA had been out for a few years.

What Sandy recommends is the way to go. I have been using them for years. Only problem I ever had was a doctor who kept changing his router.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    TP-Link and most others also make dual AP repeaters. Only $10 to $15 more. Add a 5 port work group switch ans you can connect additional devices.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I don't know any Ricoh dealers that use the "add in wifi kit." Too expensive, Too much trouble to install. And then you have to find a place to position ugly antenna where it will be out of sight and still work. Also the early ones only supported WEP even after WPA had been out for a few years.

What Sandy recommends is the way to go. I have been using them for years. Only problem I ever had was a doctor who kept changing his router.

TP-Link and most others also make dual AP repeaters. Only $10 to $15 more. Add a 5 port work group switch ans you can connect additional devices.
    Found one of those in my crap-box. I guess I wanted something more elegant

In other domains (laptops/switches/servers), purchasing retired premium/enterprise grade hardware is better than purchasing new consumer-grade alternatives, because they usually pack more features and options are super accesible (eBay is full of spares and accesories). I was expecting something similar, seems it's not the case.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Well, inspecting the machine, it seems it came stripped out of any of these radio options:

- WiFi
    - NFC
    - Bluetooth

Direct-WiFi works though.

Interestingly enough, the Ricoh C306 came with SAVIN firmware:

Is that good or bad?, shall I upgrade it with Ricoh firmware?. Print counter = 123k