Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar

Labels & Envelopes

Just curious, which copier in your experience is the best with labels? or envelopes?

On the other hand are there any copiers that should be avoided with labels or envelopes?

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Labels & Envelopes

Re: Labels & Envelopes

For lasers/MFPs stay with something in the 30 to 45 PPM speed range. Any slower with labels will end up sticking inside the machine. Any faster an envelopes will tend to jam more often. The flatter/shorter the paper path the better for envelopes. You might be better off with a small ink jet printer like a Canon PIXMA TS3520 that has a paper feed from the back and not the bottom so the paper does not have to make a 180 to get from the feed tray to the exit.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Labels & Envelopes

As labels go I recommend that endusers print labels on their inkjet printer. There's no expensive drum or transfer belt for the labels to stick to.

As envelopes go I recommend that endusers print them on their inkjet printer. There's no fuser pressure to wrinkle them, and no tight turns to re-fold the edges.

Some manufacturers will not list labels or envelopes an an acceptable media ... but that doesn't seem to stop the endusers.

If they're going to print labels anyway, I recommend that they print them SEF only, from the sheet bypass only, whole sheets only, Thick1 media type ... and do the label test: roll the label sheet into a 35mm cylinder. If any of the label edges pop up, then those labels are unsuitable.

If they are going to print envelopes anyway, I recommend that they print them SEF, from the sheet bypass or approved envelope tray only, with the Envelope or Thick2 media type, square flap envelopes only, and no metallic clasps.

... and expect some defects.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Labels & Envelopes

Talking about the large A3 and some A4 KonicaMinolta machines, to my experience: Label-sheets SEF but NOT from the Manual Feed Tray but from the first cassette. Why? When using the 1st. Cassette labels are being fed face up meaning the labels itself will be bend inwards during transport in the paper path and also tend not to creep that easy under the fuser separator. Being bend inwards they will likely not come of the backing foil that much against being bend outwards when coming face down from the manual feed tray.

Hans

PS Somehow my English grammar looks today even more clunky than usual here. Dunno why, may need some booze this Sunday......
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Labels & Envelopes

The Toshiba eBridge Next line of copiers works great with envelopes. There is even an optional dedicated envelope tray for purchase.

This does not mean you should expect to be able to reliably print more than 100 envelopes per day.

I have some business owners think they had a green light to print 100's of envelopes per day as a print for pay venture. Copiers are not designed for that duty cycle.

If that is what you are looking for you need to purchase a dedicated envelope printer costing over $5,000.00 USD.

If you want to print more than a few pages of sheet labels, you should invest in a dedicated label printer. Toshiba has direct thermal models starting from $400.00 USD.

Customers often get cheap with sheet labels and want to run the same page of unused labels through the copier's fuser again. That sets up the labels to peel off inside the copier and inflict a billable service call upon yourself.

It is always recommended to run Envelopes and sheet labels through the bypass as that is the most flat paper path.