Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

General MFC question.

Does anyone have a solution to prevent ink or whatever from sticking to the glass used for ADF copies/scans ? We have a few KonicaMinolta 4050i's that seem to do it more than other brands for whatever reason.
    Any tips ?
    Thanks,
    Dave

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    General MFC question.

Re: General MFC question.

Quote Originally Posted by deputydogg View Post
    Does anyone have a solution to prevent ink or whatever from sticking to the glass used for ADF copies/scans ? We have a few KonicaMinolta 4050i's that seem to do it more than other brands for whatever reason.
    Any tips ?
    Thanks,
    Dave
    The best solution is customer training.

Explain to them if they get lines on scans or copies but not on prints clean the scan glass.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    The best solution is customer training.

Explain to them if they get lines on scans or copies but not on prints clean the scan glass.
    It used to work before when people actually used their minds to think not their smartphones

Besides your training most probably makes them to clean big platen glass (which isn't bad) instead of smaller DF scan glass.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    General MFC question.

Agreed with above posts, lines on scans are caused by dirty paper, undried white out, glue from sticky notes, etc., unless your in a super dusty environment and dust is collecting under the glass. 1st time take the time show the clients and the key operator/contact on how to resolve the issue and let them know that they are officially trained on how to resolve the issue of the lines on scanned documents and hand all them out a smiley face sticker. Also, let them know from this point forward there will be at least a trip charge for you or other techs to come resolve the black lines when scanning and stick to it. Eventually, the client will learn how to clean the scan glass after getting serval "trip charges" to resolve an issue they can fix themselves.
    We have has many clients call us every day that the tech was out the day before to clean the scan glass and adding trip charges has pretty much resolved the issue. We have had clients complain about this issue and we have it stated clearly in our service contract that this is an issue that was caused by client and that falls under misuse and neglect on their part.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    General MFC question.

Try a drop or two of silicon oil on the glass and buff it out. This will prevent most of the ink from sticking.
    Agreed that customer training is first choice, but we know how well they follow our advice/training.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    General MFC question.

You mean, other than a smack in the head? For starters, take away all their gel pens.

A MacGuyver that I have used with some success:
    These illustrations are from a Lexmark XM1145, but could apply to any machine with a slit glass. I chose this model because it's the last one I MacGuyvered. Click on the inserted pix to see the red markings:

White Plate.jpg

Note on the white plate that there are a couple of bumps at the far front and rear edges. These bumps are the spacers the gauge the gap between the white plate and the slit glass. If that gap is too narrow, the paper is squeezed too tightly between the white plate and the slit glass. You can get jamming, but moreso you can get additional ink buildup on the slit glass.

What I've done is cut (6) rectangles of self-adhesive mylar ~5mm x ~20mm (you may need to change those dimensions for your specific model). Where those spacer-bumps make contact with the slit glass: install one layer of mylar each at the front and rear of the glass. Make sure that the mylars are outside the widest paper width, so they won't cause original jamming.

Slit Glass.jpg

If your customer immediately calls back with the same complaint, add another layer of mylar front & rear. Up to three layers of mylar deep. Each layer counts as ~1/3mm. More than that and you'll start to affect the CIS white plate calibration.

Enjoy! And remember, you can always go back and smack them in the head. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    General MFC question.

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    Try a drop or two of silicon oil on the glass and buff it out. This will prevent most of the ink from sticking.
    Agreed that customer training is first choice, but we know how well they follow our advice/training.
    At one time it was common practice on models with Doc Feeders that slid the originals onto the platen glass when the lead edge registration started to shift. Gave a nice smooth surface.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Years ago, I found that RainX worked quite well to keep the glass slippery.

Anything that did get on it had a much harder time sticking.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    At one time it was common practice on models with Doc Feeders that slid the originals onto the platen glass when the lead edge registration started to shift. Gave a nice smooth surface.
    Or remove and wash with soft soap entire originals drive belt, easy to be said than to be made
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    You mean, other than a smack in the head? For starters, take away all their gel pens.

A MacGuyver that I have used with some success:
    These illustrations are from a Lexmark XM1145, but could apply to any machine with a slit glass. I chose this model because it's the last one I MacGuyvered. Click on the inserted pix to see the red markings:

White Plate.jpg

Note on the white plate that there are a couple of bumps at the far front and rear edges. These bumps are the spacers the gauge the gap between the white plate and the slit glass. If that gap is too narrow, the paper is squeezed too tightly between the white plate and the slit glass. You can get jamming, but moreso you can get additional ink buildup on the slit glass.

What I've done is cut (6) rectangles of self-adhesive mylar ~5mm x ~20mm (you may need to change those dimensions for your specific model). Where those spacer-bumps make contact with the slit glass: install one layer of mylar each at the front and rear of the glass. Make sure that the mylars are outside the widest paper width, so they won't cause original jamming.

Slit Glass.jpg

If your customer immediately calls back with the same complaint, add another layer of mylar front & rear. Up to three layers of mylar deep. Each layer counts as ~1/3mm. More than that and you'll start to affect the CIS white plate calibration.

Enjoy! And remember, you can always go back and smack them in the head. =^..^=
    If this was advised than anyone else my first reaction would be like "C'mon dude - go back and smack your head"

Now as I'm re-thinking and knowing your abilities... it sounds plausible to make it working with a bit of trial and error.