Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need help

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

Re: I need help

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    I agree.

It smells fishy.

Not to be harsh, but if someone can’t pass basic tests, perhaps they’re best suited for a different profession.
    Not necessarily so - I'm absolutely sh*t at doing written tests, I get palpitations, bad anxiety, sweats - but put me in front of a machine, with or without a manual, and I'll fix it - I've just done 44 years in the same job, so I must be doing something right
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Needhelpbigtime View Post
    Ok so I was just hired by ricoh and I need to pass the mfp exams..I have never been good at test but have a high mechanical aptitude. I have till Wednesday to make the cut for a class in boulder Colorado. I'm currently homeless and using a friend's address and wifi. Being sent away will help me save money to get a place. But I keep failing these these test and I'm running out of time. So out of pure desperation. I'm asking if anyone in the Bergen county NJ area can help me pass them. I know it might be an issue down the line but I feel confident I can overcome those challenges when the time comes. Thank you in advance,I appreciate it.
    Unfortunately, only you can pass the exams, I hate exams too, but always seem to pass them. I think you need to learn to control your anxiety ( says he who always has bad anxiety before and during exams). go online and try one of the many self help videos that help with anxiety etc. once relaxed, you may know more than you actually realise. Good luck.
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    I need help

Quote Originally Posted by kingarthur View Post
    When you do a Konicaminolta course, you have to do a test in your own office, before doing the course, and then it a test on arrival before doing the course, which if you failed - you got sent home. So Ricoh might do the same
    If so, it has been a change in the last 4 years. Before I retired I had been going to Ricoh classes for about 20 years and never once did I have to take a test before going to an instructor lead class. Now they did give a basic technologies test the first hour of the class that you had to pass go get sent home. For awhile they did have a CBT, Computer Based Training, course on color basics that each dealership had to have at least one tech take before getting their first digital color.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Sharp used to do a pre-test upon arrival, if you failed it was up to your supervisor to decide to send you home or stay in the class.
    Nothing like getting a test first thing in the morning after spending 9 hours on the road...to New Jersey no less.....oof!

When I take online tests, I download all the service, parts, install, etc manuals before I start the test. You can leave these open in the background and use CTRL + F to find the terms being used in the questions. If you are asking others to do your test, probably not a good fit for you. This is not a "fake it until you make it" type of career.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    I need help

Quote Originally Posted by mojorolla View Post
    Sharp used to do a pre-test upon arrival, if you failed it was up to your supervisor to decide to send you home or stay in the class.
    Nothing like getting a test first thing in the morning after spending 9 hours on the road...to New Jersey no less.....oof!

When I take online tests, I download all the service, parts, install, etc manuals before I start the test. You can leave these open in the background and use CTRL + F to find the terms being used in the questions. If you are asking others to do your test, probably not a good fit for you. This is not a "fake it until you make it" type of career.

With Ricoh a lot of the service manuals for earlier models contained a Detailed Descriptions section. A lot of the basic digital copy process could be learned from that section.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    With Ricoh a lot of the service manuals for earlier models contained a Detailed Descriptions section. A lot of the basic digital copy process could be learned from that section.
    I think those manuals are around 2000 pages now though basics are one tenth. Perhaps far more than average guy will read for whole life nowadays.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    I need help

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    I think those manuals are around 2000 pages now though basics are one tenth. Perhaps far more than average guy will read for whole life nowadays.
    The detailed descriptions chapter in the Aficio 250/270 is only 82 pages and it is very much the same in all the older manuals. The early martini was 1 page longer as it added a page on the drum potential sensor operation.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Some Ricoh manuals are well over 4,000 pages now…and I’m not talking about the monster-sized production machines.

Those are likely even bigger.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    I need help

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Some Ricoh manuals are well over 4,000 pages now…and I’m not talking about the monster-sized production machines.

Those are likely even bigger.
    And they longer include a detailed description section. For some models they have add a separate manual but the ones I have looked at are worthless compared to the old manuals.