Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Production MFP's

I have worked on larger Toshiba mfps like a 7516ac. Are working on production copiers that stretch like 20 feet plus in length all that different to work on? I would imagine there would just be more boards for each section of bridge or finisher units but as far as the main unit, I would think the boards and troubleshooting process would be relatively similar. loaded question I know.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Production MFP's

Re: Production MFP's

The requirements for service response time, reliability and print quality are significantly higher. There are many different paper feed and finishing options. The machines are also much more robust and built for long runs.

I find production machines easier to work on. More modular and space to work. The trouble shooting is all the same. Do not be intimidated by the size of it. As mentioned the uptime gets much more critical.
    Whatever

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Production MFP's

My experience from my time on the field:

Pros:
    - Easier to work on
    - Parts are generally more accessible inside the machine compared to smaller MFPs
    - Service modes usually have more options that will help you diagnose the problems
    - If properly maintained, will have many more prints in between calls

Cons:
    - Much heavier - if for any reason you need to move it aside, you'll have a hard time
    - Customers are much more demanding (with good reason) regarding both quality and response time
    - The argument "You see, there's nothing we can do - it's by design" will be much more dificult to sell to the customer.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Production MFP's

With production models it is best to keep downtime to a minimum. To achieve that it is advisable to utilize either Field Replacement Modules or Customer Replacement Modules for B/W productions. The main difference is who replaces the modules, you or a trained customer. In either case you do the rebuilds, PMs, usually in shop. For color Production I found it best to have a full set of PCU cleaning stations and an ITB cleaning station to swap our at the customer's and rebuild in shop.

Technician

Wow! Great information. Thanks everyone. This site has become invaluable. I think it's time to contribute. Thanks again.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

For production sized machines, make sure you keep as close to the PM schedule as possible either with an onsite rebuild or customer replacements. You can run past the yield in most cases, but it's better to keep ahead, especially as the machines run hard and when things go bad: they go bad. My profile pic is from a tear down of an old AF 2075 that had the developer unit contaminate all of the feed bearings and gears. Took a couple hours to replace all of them and get the machine back together, all because the previous tech never kept up with the PM cycles and replacements.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Production MFP's

Servicing production machines requires a differnt mindset on the part of your business owner.

Be prepared to stock locally, a dedicated parts cabinet. Customers do not really want to hear about how I can get the part next day by Air freight (which might stretch into two days).

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Production MFP's

as mentioned, stay on top of the maintenance.

While your experience with the Toshiba 7516ac is valuable, working on 20+ foot production copiers will likely involve additional challenges due to their scale, complexity, and specialized requirements. Adapting to new systems, gaining specific knowledge, and utilizing proper procedures will be crucial for successful service.