Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

"Digital Paper" what's the difference?

I have heard several definitions for "Digital Paper" e.g. Kelly Digital, Classic Crest Digital. I cannot find any industry definition for the term "digital paper".
    As far as I have learned Digital paper is a higher quality paper & finish that has been cut more accurately and vacuumed after cutting.

Technician

Re: "Digital Paper" what's the difference?

Check out the various paper makers' web sites... they have lots of information about their digital papers. Some have coatings/processing that allow for better toner absorption (targeted to different types/brands of toner even), others discuss grain, weight, content, etc.

Here are some good sites:

mohawkpaper.com/makeready
    finchpaper.com
    neenahpaper.com
    wausaupaper.com
    paperspecs.com
    myprintresource.com

(the last 2 being general sites with many articles across papers & companies)

I have looked at several sites and there is no specific info on what makes some paper "Digital" quality. Few if any paper manufacturers give any definition of the term.
    There is a circular language definition for some terms like this, "It is digital paper because it is made for digital printing"
    Mohawk Paper has one of the few glossaries that include the term digital paper. It does not describe how it is different, only that it is for digital equipment
    "Papers designed for the specific processes of digital printing technologies. Unlike traditional offset printing, the digital environment is centered in quick turnarounds, short runs, and the ability to vary printed information within the run. Mohawk Digital Papers—Everyday Digital, Bravo, Via, Navajo, Options, Superfine, Color Copy, 50/10 and more —are designed for both digital and offset operations, and are available in popular digital sheet sizes and small rolls."

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    "Digital Paper" what's the difference?

I`m just weighing in with a big ``WHY``?
    Remember way back in the 90`s and before, when we had a question about a product that a company sold, we`d pick up a phone and call them?