Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    pastaben

SC7500 RIP: Won't fully initialize. Trying to diagnose issue.

Hey folks,

Almost done getting my SC7500 and GR3770 working. My final roadblock, though, is an issue I've been having with the SC7500:

I have it linked up to the GR3770 with the proper SCII cable. The "POWER of RISOGRAPH" light is lit up green.

When I turn it on, it quickly beeps a few times, and the top "DATA/ERROR" LED begins blinking red and green as part of the normal initialization. After it initializes, though, the light remains red instead of green. It remains this way for a few minutes, but then beeps twice, and re-starts the initialization. This process repeats indefinitely and it never fully boots to the point where all three LEDs are green.

I cannot print a test page to the GR3770 by holding the reset button, or "factory reset" the RIP by holding the reset button: this always results in LED blinking red and green again, as it restarts its initialization process.

I've taken it apart, dusted it, and just generally made sure all the connections were good, but I'm sort of feeling around in the dark here.

Any way to diagnose the issue, be it hardware or software? The SC7500 "Technical Administrator Manual" apparently describes the meaning of the audible beeps, but I haven't been able to find that specific manual anywhere.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: SC7500 RIP: Won't fully initialize. Trying to diagnose issue.

Quote Originally Posted by pastaben View Post
    Hey folks,

Almost done getting my SC7500 and GR3770 working. My final roadblock, though, is an issue I've been having with the SC7500:

I have it linked up to the GR3770 with the proper SCII cable. The "POWER of RISOGRAPH" light is lit up green.

When I turn it on, it quickly beeps a few times, and the top "DATA/ERROR" LED begins blinking red and green as part of the normal initialization. After it initializes, though, the light remains red instead of green. It remains this way for a few minutes, but then beeps twice, and re-starts the initialization. This process repeats indefinitely and it never fully boots to the point where all three LEDs are green.

I cannot print a test page to the GR3770 by holding the reset button, or "factory reset" the RIP by holding the reset button: this always results in LED blinking red and green again, as it restarts its initialization process.

I've taken it apart, dusted it, and just generally made sure all the connections were good, but I'm sort of feeling around in the dark here.

Any way to diagnose the issue, be it hardware or software? The SC7500 "Technical Administrator Manual" apparently describes the meaning of the audible beeps, but I haven't been able to find that specific manual anywhere.

Any help would be really appreciated!
    Full disclosure: I didn't work with the SC7500 that often. So take this for what it is worth.
    That being said, are you turning on everything in the right order? Duplicator first, interface second, and computer third? I found that only wrong and stupid things happened when I failed to follow that procedure.
    Did you follow the common electrostatic precautions when you had the SC7500 open? If not, you may have destroyed something with a static electricity discharge.
    I think I might still have some technical information about the SC7500 around here somewhere. If nobody else pipes up, I will see if I can find it, and then if you can define what a few beeps are accurately enough I'll try to diagnose that.
    Sorry if this was a waste of time.

pastaben

Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    . . . are you turning on everything in the right order? Duplicator first, interface second, and computer third?
    Yup. Can't even get to the computer part, though, as the manual states that all three lights on the unit must be green before a computer connection can take place. Also, the SC7500 won't enter "test mode" when powered on without any other devices connected to it (PC, RISO). So: I've isolated the issue to being with the SC7500 itself.

Did you follow the common electrostatic precautions when you had the SC7500 open? If not, you may have destroyed something with a static electricity discharge.
    Also yes. I don't have a whole lot of equipment such as an anti-static mat, but I made sure to use common sense and ground myself before touching the internal components. Additionally, this issue was happening before I dis- and reassembled the unit.

I think I might still have some technical information about the SC7500 around here somewhere. If nobody else pipes up, I will see if I can find it, and then if you can define what a few beeps are accurately enough I'll try to diagnose that.

I have the SC7500 User Manual and the SC7500 Technical Manual, the latter of which describes the audible system beeps. They don't talk about the specific pattern that I've observed with my unit. The Technical Manual makes mention of a third, legendary, "Technical Administrator Manual" for the SC7500 which apparently describes the meaning of the top LED sequences, which I believe would be the key to solving this issue. Upon doing some extensive googling and asking around, though, I haven't found evidence of this manual's existence outside of its mention in the Technical Manual. There may only be paper copies of this manual, if you have one lying around...

pastaben

Tried to reply to this earlier but it got caught in a filter? I dunno. But anyway:

... are you turning on everything in the right order? Duplicator first, interface second, and computer third?
    Yup. Can't get to the point where I can turn on the computer, though, because the manual states that a computer connection cannot be initiated without all three status LEDs being green first. Also, I can't enter test mode (with no devices connected), so I've isolated the issue to being with the RIP itself.

This was happening before I disassembled the unit, but yes: I made sure to ground myself.

That would be awesome. The SC7500 Technical Manual describes the audible beep sequences, but I didn't find the pattern I heard in there. That manual does make mention of a "SC7500 Technical Administrator Manual", though, which it said describes the meaning of the LED error sequences. I can't find mention of this manual's existence anywhere outside of its mention in the Technical Manual, though. Either it doesn't exist, or only paper copies do! If you had that lying around it might be the key to solving this.

Hello, I am new to the forum and am having an issue with my SC7500 RIP, which is connected to my GR3750. I purchased both items used.
    I have it linked up to the GR3750 with the proper SCII cable. The "POWER of RISOGRAPH" light is lit up green.
    When I turn it on, it quickly beeps a few times, and the top "DATA/ERROR" LED blinks red and green as part of the normal initialization. After it initializes, though, the light remains red instead of green. It remains this way for a few minutes, but then audibly beeps twice, and restarts the initialization. This process repeats indefinitely and it never fully boots to the point where all three LEDs are green.
    I cannot print a test page to the GR3750 by holding the reset button, or "factory reset" the RIP by holding the reset button: this always results in LED blinking red and green again, as it restarts its initialization process.
    Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 15.42.39.jpg
    Ping is working 128.1.0.64.

I am on the same network like a SC7500.

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 15.44.52.jpg

With originalsoftware connection on printer is not working.

I've taken it apart, dusted it, and the connections seem fine.
    The RISO prints on its own properly.
    Is there any way to diagnose the issue, and narrow it down to hardware or software? The SC7500 "Technical Administrator Manual" apparently describes the meaning of the audible beeps, but I haven't been able to find that specific manual anywhere, Any help would be really appreciated!