Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Riso 2-color print getting pdf artwork onto both drums

Hi, trying to get a 2 color Riso print setup using artwork sent from PC (using a 2-drum Risograph of course). The Risograph itself works perfectly using the Riso to copy masters and make 2 color prints, but with PC am having issues getting my artwork's masters onto both drums correctly. I have a greyscale pdf file, with a page for each layer/color of the artwork (blue + black inks).

On the Riso I select 2-color, master make, send the pdf to the Riso (on pc color settings window 'refresh' to get correct colors from the Riso is greyed out, but I manually added colors and can self select them, if this matters?) ----> then start the master making, and when it makes the drum 1 master (blue) it is all fine, but then it seems to proceed to make the second layer (black) on the blue drum instead of the black. Both displays on the Riso screen that show the ink color both show correctly (pdf pages also ordered in the same way as the drums). Also the preview window never shows the second page (I can go 'skip page' and it will then display the second page artwork (black) on the blue drum in preview). Furthermore, it doesn't appear to me that you are able to send the pages individually to the riso for each drum, so I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, unless it's as simple as not being able to use the 2-color setting on the Riso when printing from PC, rather, go into each color separately in the menu on the riso and make each master separately?

tl;dr Why would my pdf artwork (2 pages, greyscale) not be transferring correctly onto each drum during master making process?

Thank you!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Riso 2-color print getting pdf artwork onto both drums

Re: Riso 2-color print getting pdf artwork onto both drums

Quote Originally Posted by topre View Post
    Hi, trying to get a 2 color Riso print setup using artwork sent from PC (using a 2-drum Risograph of course). The Risograph itself works perfectly using the Riso to copy masters and make 2 color prints, but with PC am having issues getting my artwork's masters onto both drums correctly. I have a greyscale pdf file, with a page for each layer/color of the artwork (blue + black inks).
    On the Riso I select 2-color, master make, send the pdf to the Riso (on pc color settings window 'refresh' to get correct colors from the Riso is greyed out, but I manually added colors and can self select them, if this matters?) ----> then start the master making, and when it makes the drum 1 master (blue) it is all fine, but then it seems to proceed to make the second layer (black) on the blue drum instead of the black. Both displays on the Riso screen that show the ink color both show correctly (pdf pages also ordered in the same way as the drums). Also the preview window never shows the second page (I can go 'skip page' and it will then display the second page artwork (black) on the blue drum in preview). Furthermore, it doesn't appear to me that you are able to send the pages individually to the riso for each drum, so I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, unless it's as simple as not being able to use the 2-color setting on the Riso when printing from PC, rather, go into each color separately in the menu on the riso and make each master separately?
    tl;dr Why would my pdf artwork (2 pages, greyscale) not be transferring correctly onto each drum during master making process? Thank you!
    have you consulted the user and/or service manual?

are you and end user?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    have you consulted the user and/or service manual?

are you and end user?
    Yes I am the end user and I have looked in the service manual but not found anything appropriate.

edit: (this may explain better)

Can you send two greyscale masters (in pdf form) to a Risograph and use the 2-color master making mode to get the two masters onto both drums, in the same way as you can when scanning two masters? Or does everyone just make each master with only one drum in the machine, then set both drums in and run your print?
    Last edited by topre; 06-29-2019 at 07:47 PM.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

Might as well go back to the beginning and ask what model Riso you are using and if you are using the right driver for it and hopefully it's not a Mac you are using. Riso and Mac don't get along all that well.

If you have a 2 page doc, 1 being the black and 1 being the other color you can send 1 master at a time over and tell it in the driver this page is black and this page is "Red" (I believe is the other default color choice- I don't believe it really cares it's just not going to the black drum). In the preferences there should be Black or Red as the drop down. What probably matters the most is how you have your originals set up, cause the Riso is basic and will only do what it's told by the PC.
    Riso | User Manuals
    I'd look into the user manual, not the service manual for printing issues, or maybe someone has created a YouTube video that may help what you are trying to accomplish.