Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Replace FR3950 TPH with FR3950α TPH

I have a FR3950UI and a non-functioning FR3950UIα that I am using for spare parts. Most part replacements have worked fine, but I recently tried to replace the TPH and it didn't work. I noticed that there were different voltage ratings on the UI TPH and the UIα TPH, but haven't done any investigating beyond that, and put the old TPH back in. Does anyone know if the TPH from a FR3950UI is comparable with the TPH from the FR3950UIα?

If anyone does know this, are there any other things that I should know about moving parts from the alpha to the UI?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

Re: Replace FR3950 TPH with FR3950α TPH

I don't remember and I don't have that old book but whenever you change the TPH on any machine you have to adjust the TPH resistance to match the new one going in. It should be stamped in ohms on the paper label. On the Z models you do it in service mode but IF I remember right you have to use a meter connected to some test points on the board to get the reading. Hope you have a book for this

Re: Replace FR3950 TPH with FR3950α TPH

I do—I have the service manual and have adjusted the machine to match the TPH. However, it seems that for some reason the TPH from the FR3950UI Alpha is not compatible with the TPH from the FR3950UI, but I honestly cannot seem to figure out why that would be. If anyone out there has a parts list for the two machines, It would be very useful. Does anyone know if such a thing exists?