Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Riso GR 3770 doesn't turn on

Hi everyone, this is my first thread and I hope you can understand me, since I'm not an natural english speaker, anything that hasn't been clear I'll be attentive to answer it.

Recently I was trying to solve a compatibility problem in the GR drum size to a new machine of the same model but another series, since I've a 3550 and recently I obtained a 3770 that someone discarded. I needed to use the color drums that I've in this last one and I didn't know what was the correct configuration of the switches in the PCB of the drum, finally in another thread I found the order of the switches. So far so good, but another problem arose that seems to be more complicated, maybe someone here can help me.

I've been trying to build this project on my own for a couple of years now, and here in Chile (perhaps almost nowhere) maintenance or procurement of supplies, spare parts and supplies isn't very accessible. Either because of how expensive it is or the shortage of supply regarding the RISO brand. I've been fortunate to come across overly convenient second hand sales and have several drums to assign a respective ink variety to them. Just as despite having many headaches raising money to buy a 3550 that gave me quite a few dilemmas (mainly because of the lines on the thermal head), recently someone who was no longer in the printing profession donated me one in impeccable condition, the 3770 mentioned earlier and the one concerning right now. Well, to sum up all this journey, it has made me polish enough in technical matters and recognition of the parts and assembly of the machine, how to replace or repair them if it's the case.

So, once I was able to make the machine recognize the drum, when making a master and then printing copies the machine turned off suddenly, but not too quickly, just like when the power switch is turned off. Now I've not been able to turn it on again, I've checked the fuses of the power supply and none are burned, there was no electric shock either, just in case I changed the first one near the power switch and nothing (the fuse had the corresponding voltage and amperage). The machine comes from Canada, where the electrical supply system voltage is 110v, here in Chile it's 220v but I'd bought a power transformer tailored to the indicated range with which I've not had any issue, until now. I wanted to know if there is any way to proceed (obviating the technical service). Probably something to check in the power supply is left out, some another important piece inside it or maybe other PCB or part in the whole machine needs to be checked. Anyway, as I said, everything looks in the same condition as always. I didn't find any solution in forums, and I don't lose anything by asking here. Please if someone could help me in this matter I would be infinitely grateful. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Jökul Hlaup; 11-19-2020 at 12:37 AM.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Riso gr 3770 doesn't turn on

Re: Riso gr 3770 doesn't turn on

Quote Originally Posted by Jökul Hlaup View Post
    Hi everyone, this is my first thread and I hope you can understand me, since I'm not an natural english speaker, anything that hasn't been clear I'll be attentive to answer it.

Recently I was trying to solve a compatibility problem in the GR drum size to a new machine of the same model but another series, since I've a 3550 and recently I obtained a 3770 that someone discarded. I needed to use the color drums that I've in this last one and I didn't know what was the correct configuration of the switches in the PCB of the drum, finally in another thread I found the order of the switches. So far so good, but another problem arose that seems to be more complicated, maybe someone here can help me. The truth is that I've been trying to build this project on my own for a couple of years now, and here in Chile (perhaps almost nowhere) maintenance or procurement of supplies, spare parts and supplies isn't very accessible. Either because of how expensive it is or the shortage of supply regarding the RISO brand. I've been fortunate to come across overly convenient second hand sales and have several drums to assign a respective ink variety to them. Just as despite having many headaches raising money to buy a 3550 that gave me quite a few dilemmas (mainly because of the lines on the thermal head), recently someone who was no longer in the printing profession donated me one in impeccable condition, the 3770 mentioned earlier and the one concerning right now. Well, to sum up all this journey, it has made me polish enough in technical matters and recognition of the parts and assembly of the machine, how to replace or repair them if it's the case.

So, once I was able to make the machine recognize the drum, when making a master and then printing copies the machine turned off suddenly, but not too quickly, just like when the power switch is turned off. Now I've not been able to turn it on again, I've checked the fuses of the power supply and none are burned, there was no electric shock either, just in case I changed the first one near the power switch and nothing (the fuse had the corresponding voltage and amperage). The machine comes from Canada, where the electrical supply system voltage is 110v, here in Chile it's 220v and I'd bought a power transformer tailored to the indicated range with which I've not had any issue, until now. I wanted to know if there is any way to proceed (obviating the technical service). Probably something to check in the power supply is left out, some another important piece inside it or maybe other PCB or part in the whole machine needs to be checked. Anyway, as I said, everything looks in the same condition as always. I didn't find any solution in forums, and I don't lose anything by asking here. Please if someone could help me in this matter I would be infinitely grateful. Thanks in advance

you can't put a 220v PS in a 110v system.. plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    you can't put a 220v PS in a 110v system.. plain and simple.
    The machine comes from Canada, but it was used for many years here in Chile, it's common to use electronic devices that are adapted to 110v electrical supply with voltage converters. Anyway, could I replace the 110v PS with the GR 3550 one which is 220v, in case it were if so, there could be any compatibility problem?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Riso gr 3770 doesn't turn on

Quote Originally Posted by Jökul Hlaup View Post
    The machine comes from Canada, but it was used for many years here in Chile, it's common to use electronic devices that are adapted to 110v electrical supply with voltage converters. Anyway, I could replace the 110v PS with the GR 3550 one which is 220v, but my question is if could there be any compatibility problem
    the boards inside the machine are DIFFERENT.... they cannot be swapped.

you CANNOT USE A 220v in a 110v machine!

i worked on Riso's and you being an end user know better than I do?

done with this stupid convo.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    the boards inside the machine are DIFFERENT.... they cannot be swapped.

you CANNOT USE A 220v in a 110v machine!

i worked on Riso's and you being an end user know better than I do?

done with this stupid convo.
    Lol, I've not been arrogant or something, I was just asking for some help, thanks anyway mad bro

If you need a technology solution for your growing business, then ISETech is the one to call. We deliver Microsoft .NET and other open-source IT services. We can work with you to develop engaging and innovative designs for websites, mobile apps, in-house software, and marketing campaigns. Our extensive knowledge and skills equip us with the tools we need to enhance your company's technical capabilities.
    Contact us for a consultation and find out how we can add value to your company’s processes.