RC6300 Drum Rotation Reset Issue

Hi all,

I recently cleaned out a drum for an RC6300 I've been bringing back to life, which went pretty smoothly, but am having an issue getting it to work again. This is an issue with the drum, not the printer, since I have another drum I cleaned that still works fine after some tests.

So, this faulty drum goes in fine, but when I ask the printer to make a master, it starts up the process, goes for a few seconds, and then kind of jumps and powers off & reset. The drum will then be stuck & when you remove it you can see that the motor unit that connects to the drum is stuck at about a 20 degree angle from where it's default position. I'll have to enter test mode to turn it back to a centered position, from which I can insert the drum, but the issue persists.

I've done a quick comparison of the two, and the main difference I can find at first blush is that the faulty drum's roller seems to be turning much more loosely than the working one. I don't know if this is a normal difference & things move slower once ink is applied to the roller system, or if there's something more mechanical going on. I was having issues getting the screws for the squeegee gap adjuster to move, so I left them alone, but maybe the issue is connected to that. I'm not sure if there are other parts of the drum that effect the roller speed like the adjuster does.

Any insight on what to look towards adjusting would be appreciated! I'm going to move on to the other drums I have & slowly work away at this one, but it would be nice to get it working at some point.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    RC6300 Drum Rotation Reset Issue

Re: RC6300 Drum Rotation Reset Issue

Quote Originally Posted by cardboardcutout View Post
    Hi all,

I recently cleaned out a drum for an RC6300 I've been bringing back to life, which went pretty smoothly, but am having an issue getting it to work again. This is an issue with the drum, not the printer, since I have another drum I cleaned that still works fine after some tests.

So, this faulty drum goes in fine, but when I ask the printer to make a master, it starts up the process, goes for a few seconds, and then kind of jumps and powers off & reset. The drum will then be stuck & when you remove it you can see that the motor unit that connects to the drum is stuck at about a 20 degree angle from where it's default position. I'll have to enter test mode to turn it back to a centered position, from which I can insert the drum, but the issue persists.

I've done a quick comparison of the two, and the main difference I can find at first blush is that the faulty drum's roller seems to be turning much more loosely than the working one. I don't know if this is a normal difference & things move slower once ink is applied to the roller system, or if there's something more mechanical going on. I was having issues getting the screws for the squeegee gap adjuster to move, so I left them alone, but maybe the issue is connected to that. I'm not sure if there are other parts of the drum that effect the roller speed like the adjuster does.

Any insight on what to look towards adjusting would be appreciated! I'm going to move on to the other drums I have & slowly work away at this one, but it would be nice to get it working at some point.
    I think that you probably accidentally bumped the ink sensors while cleaning, make a comparison with the drum working with all its parts if reassembled correctly. Have you tested the ink pump?

Quote Originally Posted by GIUBOSS View Post
    I think that you probably accidentally bumped the ink sensors while cleaning, make a comparison with the drum working with all its parts if reassembled correctly. Have you tested the ink pump?
    Oh, on the PCB board under the pump? Totally possible, I'll try some things out & get a power source to test the pump. I'd been skipping that step of the cleaning process, but it seems pretty important after running into this.

Any particular dings on the sensor I should be on the lookout for?

Alright, so I went ahead & took apart both drums & compared. Sure enough, the longer wire on the nonfunctional drum's ink sensor board was bent out of place. I bent it back & put them back together--the ink pump test in test mode seems to work.

I have another issue that's come up where the end piece of the master clamp is bent on both drums now, though, which makes it so that masters can't be put on. I'm looking into flattening them out, but I may end up making another post about that issue. Thanks for the insight!