Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

RA5900 Clamp Plate Issues

Hey all. I have a drum that recently started doing something weird with the clamp plate. After I got it, I made a few masters no problem. Later, it started throwing me issues related to the clamp plate. When it tries to open, the plate hits part of the master removal section so it can't go back all the way down. I'm baffled as how to make any adjustments for this. If I have the clamp plate already in the open position and run the test mode for it, it has no problem closing it. If I raise the scanner bed and push down the gear clamp thing that lifts the plate and then manually open the plate, sometimes it seems to open just fine, sometimes it catches around the same place it does when the machine opens the clamp. It gets caught around the center to the back end of the machine, almost like the end of the drum that connects to the shaft is too high up, but that doesn't seem possible. Here's what I did over the weekend:

- The main shaft pulley was loose, but previously I was still able to make masters. I centered and tightened it, no luck (but now I don't have to manually rotate the shaft to fully insert the drum at least)
    - Messed around with the plate that determines the home position on the drum. It doesn't seem to have any dramatic effect on how far the clamp can get.
    - Messed with the position of the magnet on the clamp plate, which doesn't seem like an issue because it can start opening and close the plate just fine.
    - Intentionally misaligned the main shaft pulley, before I realized that theoretically shouldn't have any bearing on the actual home position of the drum.
    - Straightened out the little hook thing that keeps the drum in the home position when it's outside the machine, before I realized that it wasn't engage when the drum was inserted.

I even used my calipers to measure against a working drum and I can't really find anything noticeably different between the 2.

Has anyone had this or something similar with a drum? Any tips or things to check up are greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Technician

Re: RA5900 Clamp Plate Issues

Here a few pictures of the plate hitting near the master removal area. Still very stumped, the gear on the end of the clamp plate seems a little bit loose compared to other drums, so looking into tightening that maybe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Technician

FIXED IT! The issue was not actually with the drum, but with the little clamp that goes down end engages with the gear on the drum to move the clamp plate. It was just a little loose!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

Congrats. That plate can get a hairline crack in it as well. 99% of the mechanical stuff you learn on the RA is used in any Riso made in the last 15 years. Sorry and good luck