Technician

Busted solenoids (lock, pressure) in my RA5900?

Oh boy, just when I thought I was on track to have everything fixed.

I'm not exactly sure what happened, but my lock solenoid (the one that needs to be engaged to let the drum out of the machine) and pressure solenoid (integral to the actual printing operations) aren't engaging anymore. I've looked into the pressure solenoid more, I tried cleaning the wires connections and searching for any obvious places where it might be disconnected, but theres nothing obvious. Any ideas where to check or what to do? If it comes down to it, are these easy to find replacement solenoids for or am I totally SOL? I'm pretty concerned because it's pretty functionless right now. I can live without the lock solenoid if I have to, but I really need a working pressure solenoid. Thanks in advance!

Technician

Re: Busted solenoids (lock, pressure) in my RA5900?

I removed the pressure solenoid and checked it out with a multimeter. I'm not too familiar with multimeter usage, but I'v been checking it for continuity, and in that mode it only makes the beep when i move the center moving part of the solenoid out, which is the opposite of the direction i expect the solenoid to engage. When it's not moving it seems to register ~112 Ohms. Not sure what to make of this but it seems like something.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

I believe that solenoid has 2 wires and a protective sleeve over it. Back in the day one of the wires would break at the U in bend. Cut off the protective sleeve and stress each wire and see if it's just barely hanging on

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by 20gaugeO/U View Post
    I believe that solenoid has 2 wires and a protective sleeve over it. Back in the day one of the wires would break at the U in bend. Cut off the protective sleeve and stress each wire and see if it's just barely hanging on
    That's the wire! There was a decently sizes crimp in the sleeve where I thought it may have been pinched, but removed from the sleeve it seems pretty study. Hooked up to the multimeter, the readings dont do anything really if I futz with those wires. I'm no multimeter master, but from some other googling, it seems like the reading I'm getting actually seem normal for a working solenoid. I get a resistant reading until I move the actuator which generates a current (?) completing the circuit. I'm thinking the next move would be to use the multimeter to see if the wires that the solenoid connects to to see if they're sending the proper voltage when they should be? I think?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

Take 1 wire and lightly pull on it from both ends, then do it to the other wire. Like stretching out a rope. You are seeing if the wire is literally hanging by a thread inside the insulation

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by 20gaugeO/U View Post
    Take 1 wire and lightly pull on it from both ends, then do it to the other wire. Like stretching out a rope. You are seeing if the wire is literally hanging by a thread inside the insulation
    Yeah, everything seems sturdy from this test, almost wish it wasn't cuz this seems like a much easier fix haha

Technician

Annnnnd seems like the master removal test mode (71 on RA) isn't working now... I gotta not touch this for a while, I feel like I'm just making it worse