Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Riso RP3700 sector gear spring and paperfeed tray spring got mixed up

I took over from a repair job which was not finished. This involved paperfeed clutch in secondary feed. I have two springs, one of which should go onto sector gear, arm and the other onto U-shaped tab on paper feed tray. I am pretty sure that I have got the correct spring (the larger one with open ended loops) onto the sector gear as it fits over the tab better than the smaller spring. I am confused regarding the other one as at the bottom right corner of the back of machine has a bracket with inverted u shaped tab which would fit the open ended end of the remaining spring. However, the only tab I can see which would fit the other end seems a long stretch and that tab is located on the cover which fits over the sector gear. The repair manual does not show that spring connection clearly.
    I attach shots of those areas in question, and would be grateful if anyone can help me with this. I always take pictures before taking things apart as it makes things so much easier.Attachment 51230

Technician

Re: Riso RP3700 sector gear spring and paperfeed tray spring got mixed up

Resending Attachmenmt
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't think that's the right place. I think that's for the elevator spring. RPs are a nightmare of over engineered crap. Not to mention a dinosaur. If you have the parts manual look at figure 6 part #13 is the spring pressure lever, That might be the spring you are dealing with.
    Good luck!

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by jermyth View Post
    I don't think that's the right place. I think that's for the elevator spring. RPs are a nightmare of over engineered crap. Not to mention a dinosaur. If you have the parts manual look at figure 6 part #13 is the spring pressure lever, That might be the spring you are dealing with.
    Good luck!
    Paper elevator spring is #14 which shows as open ended. However I used the closed end spring for elavator as the open one fit better on the sector arm. Good news is that everything is back together and has run a case of paper without missing a beat. Bad news is that ran out of S4386 black ink and could not find replacement OEM as my dealers were out of stock. I just got some on Ebay mfg in 2012 and on unscrewing cap a load of black water ran out, so I think it must have frozen at some time maybe but the box had water damage but was clear. Have tried draining water off and shaking it up, but still hesitant to put it into the drum for fear of damage.