RISO RZ Drum whistle noise on black ink.

Hi everyone!
    I have an old RZ 300 which is working very good so far. Suddenly my black drum starts to make some strange whistle sound while is starting to print, it rotates but does not print anything.
    Have you ever had this problem??? Thank you in advance.

Óscar.

Re: RISO RZ Drum whistle noise on black ink.

Never heard that before, but the no print on page could be several things. Since you are not getting an error code, I'd pull the drum out and see what's on the screen. Is there an extra master on the drum? Is there something under the master? If no to both, is the current master inked up? If the drum is not inking up and you don't have an error code, then something is up with the inking rollers and the ink detection antenna has excess ink on it. Possibly the one-way gear is failing and you have not gotten to the ink overflow antenna yet. But my experience you get an error code before no ink on prints. Look at the drum for the above and let us know what you find.

Good luck.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

Yep it's trying to draw ink and failing for some reason thus the dry whistle sound. When it stops whistling you'll have fixed your problem

Hi there, i will check all those points you mentioned and see what happens, as i can remember, i hadn´t any error code on the screen, it was almost from print to print. I will check and let you know, thank you very much for your answer and best regards.

Quote Originally Posted by 20gaugeO/U View Post
    Yep it's trying to draw ink and failing for some reason thus the dry whistle sound. When it stops whistling you'll have fixed your problem
    Thank you very much, i will check if it pumps the ink properly !! Best regards.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    RISO RZ Drum whistle noise on black ink.

I wonder, how old is the ink. If stored too long or at the wrong temperature the ink can slowly dry out and become too thick to be pumped easily.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I wonder, how old is the ink. If stored too long or at the wrong temperature the ink can slowly dry out and become too thick to be pumped easily.
    Hello, the ink is a bit old, i has been stored on cold enviroment but is a bit ol i´am afraid. This week i will test and see what happens to keep you informed. Thank you all guys!!!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

There should be a date stamped on the end. Anything older than 2 years toss and start fresh

Hi all out there and happy new year!

I checked the drum, clamp movements and so on and it seems to be fine. I extracted the ink cartridge from the riso drum and cleaned the ink looking for dry parts. I pumped the ink cartridge with fresh black ink from inside, inserted the ink and started the machine. No whistle noise this time and everything working ok. I think it was dry ink on the cartridge or at some point.

Thank you guys for the support!!!

Best