Technician

OLE PlotWave 300 - light bands (lenghtwise) in prints...

I just purchased a used PlotWave 300 and I'm finding the print quality is inconsistent across the width of the paper, being somewhat faded in same areas. this is with the Test Prints. I've tried adjusting the density 5% which made no visible difference, and I did the Print Density test and set that offset to +4. Still faded in the same areas. Toner appears to be almost full. No error messages.

https://www.flippers.com/images/delete/TestPrint.jpg

(I tried to upload this image, but the system wouldn't allow it - this is a scan of the printed Test Print)

I'd love to get a service manual, can't find anything on that, but in the meantime any recommendations about fixing this print issue would be appreciated!

Thanks!

John :-#)#
    Last edited by JRR; 12-31-2022 at 06:55 AM.

Re: OLE PlotWave 300 - light bands (lenghtwise) in prints...

Its got LED print heads. Did you clean those? It could need a consumable service. You mean print from PC?
    There is not much help out there for them. I had training on it but was like 15 years ago... Work on them like 2 times only.
    Its filled with Oce technical paranoia and weird logic.
    Whatever

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    OLE PlotWave 300 - light bands (lenghtwise) in prints...

There is a calibration that can be made through service mode to even out the density of the images. Unfortunately you have to have the Sam key/Access to the manual to be able to run it and those manuals are protected through Canon/Oce, through a program called Robin and Porthos.
    Last edited by MoochPage; 12-31-2022 at 11:01 PM. Reason: More Complete info

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Its got LED print heads. Did you clean those? It could need a consumable service. You mean print from PC?
    There is not much help out there for them. I had training on it but was like 15 years ago... Work on them like 2 times only.
    Its filled with Oce technical paranoia and weird logic.
    Not sure how to access the Print LEDs. Certainly the operators manual gives no guidance on accessing them. I can pull things apart - but that takes time to figure out how to do if safely. Having enough of the service manual to at least get at the LEDs to see if they just need cleaning would be nice.

Thanks,

Technician

I suspect the toner may be very low. I peered inside the Toner hopper compartment and could see very far down into it to below the cross, well below the curved tube that is inside the Toner hopper.

The System claims there is about 75% toner, and there is no level sensor/opto for the toner level. I assume the toner level is assumed based on the number of prints since the last refill and that there is a way to tell the machine that toner has been added...this is not covered in the user/operator manual that I can find with search terms - toner - level - refill - reset -, perhaps I missed one... All the manual says is to add one bottle of toner when the Refill Toner message appears.

The Toner detection must be elsewhere in the Toner transport system...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Technician

I pulled out the LED/Corona Unit and the wires have crusty patches on them that doesn't clean off with gentle scrubbing. The LEDs are all clean, and I blew off the toner residue.
    Is there a trick to cleaning corona wires or do they just need to be replaced once they are contaminated? An example in the photo below is near the label S-12455A.
    Thanks!
    OCE_Corona_Wires_2.jpg

Technician

Re: OLE PlotWave 300 - light bands (lenghtwise) in prints...<Solved!>

An OCE repair person reached out to me (prefers to remain nameless) and walked me through the process of accessing the print head as follows:

I hope these help. It's a series of 5 jpegs from the service manual. The main tool is a Torx T20. The manual mentions removing the scanner. I don't recommend it and didn't include pictures of the procedure (John - I removed the scanner as it just seemed in the way).
    The printhead rides on two pivots, one on either side. Just lift the printhead and it will rest on little pins just above the pivots. It moves upward an inch or two total.
    When you’re done, lift the printhead again slightly and press two “triggers” near the pivot arms to allow the assembly to drop back to normal position.

First, lower the panel with the Oce logo. Second, lift the rear portion
    of the cover up (3 up arrows). Third, guide the cover down and towards
    the front along the main angle of the cover. Just keep your eyes and
    hands on it to guide it out. You will remove it below the black bar and
    above the front Oce logo cover. Also the front edge of the cover, with the chrome loop will also need
    to come up to clear notches (blue Xs) in the side chassis.
    For cleaning (the heads) in the field I just use dry but the manual does allow 99% alcohol.

I hope this helps others clean their machine print heads!

John :-#)#OCE_Disassembly.jpg
    step5.jpgstep4.jpgstep3.jpgstep1.jpgstep2.jpgOCE_PrintHeads3.jpgOCE_PrintHeads2.jpgOCE_PrintHeads1.jpgOCE_PrintHeads4.jpg

Is there something that shows how to get all the panels off before you get to the picture where you show the blue arrows for accessing the printhead? The screenshots that you sent lost resolution somehow and are not legible. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by tyvmucho View Post
    Is there something that shows how to get all the panels off before you get to the picture where you show the blue arrows for accessing the printhead? The screenshots that you sent lost resolution somehow and are not legible. Thanks for sharing.
    Anyone?

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by tyvmucho View Post
    Anyone?
    Hi!

Email me and I'll send the images directly to you...