Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SC-7700

Technician

SC-7700

Let me first thank you in advance – this is the most helpful site on the net.

I am running Windows Vista on my computers, and have a Riso 3770 and 3750, and am interested in an SC-7700 controller that is available online. The person selling the box wrote that he only has the controller and no cables or software. He apparently does not have the means to test the unit.

My concern is that the installed software is corrupt. Is the RIP software still available to purchase? Also, is it difficult to find the interface cable and network interface card (if needed)?

I’ve seen other post that questioned Windows XPs ability to communicate with the SC-7700. Are either Vista or XP drivers available for SC-7700?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Hi,
    The cables are not standard for this rip.A Riso dealer should be able to order these for you.From previous riso experience I doubt there is a driver for vista but it will probably work.If it can not be tested be careful these are extremely expensive to repair even though it looks like a standard tower computer....
    Tech boy.

Risograph RIPs

Although the RIP units look like tower computers, they have custom boards and do not have video output, keyboard input or other things expected on a computer.

The Riso cable is sold on eBay for about $200 each. The truth is these are NOT special cables. They are DB25 on one end and mini centronics or it might be called a mini scsi connector on the other end. You can buy these cables for $25 on ebay. My HP Color Laserjet 4600 uses the same kind of cable.

There are no drivers for Vista or XP. These boxes were made long before those operating systems. They probably were using WIN 98, 2000 or most likely Windows NT. I would guess they will work on XP and maybe Vista if they are not too operating specific.

I just purchased one myself and will find out what works. I have operating systems back to Windows 2000. I pitched NT as it is totally unsupported now.

The controller box is just part of the package. The other part is the interface board. This provides a connector on the back of the Riso with a wire harness that runs to a circuit board that mounts inside the Riso on a a bracket that seems to be able to hold two boards. Have no idea what the second space is used for, maybe the auto feeder or some other addon. The board has another wire harness that connectors to the main computer board of the Riso.

If the RIP you are considering does not have the interface board, it is next to worthless. In many years of looking for a good Riso, near enough to pick up and cheap, I have never seen the interface board by itself.

There is RISO manual disk sold on eBay, it has all the RIP drivers on it. It has diagrams but unfortunately no photos of anything which would have really helped.

I will check my disk and see if those models are supported with the 7700. I know my FR's don't support the 7790 and they are much newer than any GR.

I am going to try to attach a photo of the board. I have NEVER seen a photo of one anywhere. This one is mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SC7700

The SC7700 was intended for WIN 95 and WIN 98. I would guess XP will work and probably Vista. The SC emulates the LaserJet III and IV. I have several LaserJet IV models and they work fine with Vista.

If you can get it cheap enough I would buy it. I would not pay more than a couple of hundred for it though.

Technician
    rip will definately work under XP and mac os X, and probably vista too
    i have sc7700 unit printing via osX with the console program running under XP -- drivers are available online (ppd's and a windows XP installer)

interface cards for GR machines do turn up on ebay (i've picked up 2!)
    cables ARE non standard as far as i can work out and are DB37 to mini scsi
    i haven't tried to hack one together but i'm sure it's possible -- cost for cable from riso is about £200!

i guess the only problem would be with the hard drive in the rip being corrupted -- inside seems like a standard motherboard (does have keyboard connectors etc but are hidden behind the back panel of the rip) to me -

is worth a punt i think, you will get much higher quality printing from computer rather than scanning in artwork, especially with text.. it's very crisp on GR3770

hope that helps..

i'd be very interested if anyone has made up a cable for the sc7700 and has the pinout diagram

Question on cable

The cables look standard. I have not tried one though. Are you telling me that Riso went to the trouble of changing the pin to pin connections and had custom cables made? That seems like going to a lot of trouble for a relatively small return.

I just bought one of the C1 300 interfaces with the cable and board for $5. Couldn't resist at that price. Am going to check the pinouts and see if it is a standard cable or not. I think though the cable changed with later interface models.

I might have missed them but I have never seen any internal interface boards by themselves on eBay here in the U.S. There are controllers sold but they seldom mention having the internal board. It looks like the same board is used for the sorter and some other things.

Riso Cables

The cable that goes from the RIP to the connector on the Riso which has the wire harness to the interface board is obviously a custom cable and the RIP should include that cable when offered for sale. RISO calls this the "video cable." This is basicly a modified scsi cable.

However, the RIP then connects to the computer and that is a Standard cable. I have read the specifications for all the RISO RIP units and not a one says anything about a special cable. That would make no sense when the RIP has standard connectors for printer cables, RS232, SCSI, etc. RIPS from 7000 or so have Ethernet connectors, so you can connect it directly to a network and forget about printer cables altogether. It would be totally absurd for Riso to change the pin outs and force people to buy only its cables. Everything in the technical manuals says that the RIP to computer connectors are standard configurations.

Many of the older RIPS have SCSI connectors too for connection to a scsi port or board in a computer in order to use the Riso as a computer scanner. Obviously these are standard SCSI cables.

The newer RIP units such as the 7000, 7700 and 7900 have a compact scsi connector on them, or SCSI 2. The cable is supplied with the rip units in the kit. The conventional wisdom is that these are custom cables, but nothing I have read in the RISO manuals says anything about it being custom. Some of the illustrations say all the cables are standard commercially available cables.

Of course the safe thing is to get the cable with the RIP.

Attached is a photo of the cable for a C1 300 RIP.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePlanet View Post
    The cables look standard. I have not tried one though. Are you telling me that Riso went to the trouble of changing the pin to pin connections and had custom cables made? That seems like going to a lot of trouble for a relatively small return.
    the SC7700 cable looks like a standard DB37 printer cable on one end and riso chopped the other end off and stuck a 36pin 'scsi style' plug on the other.. if anyone knows what these connectors are called or where you can get them!.. please let me know..

BluePlanet: was confused about what you were saying about cables because SC7700 connects via ethernet! so was only thinking of rip -> riso cable..

Oh, that explains it.

Okay, that makes sense. Still learning about these things. Sorry for the confusion. The cables pictured as Riso cables on eBay look like standard cables and look to have molded connectors on both ends.

Doing those in small quantities would be very expensive, which I suppose explains the $200 price. It just makes no sense to me why a company would bother going that route when they are selling machines for tens of thousands of dollars and making plenty on consumables.

My confusion is from the docs for the RIPs which refer to the cables as standard commercial cables. Of course, someone actually using, selling or fixing these things is going to know.

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar
    The RISO cables are exclusive and have caused a lot of confusion, because they look like 'off the shelf' items. You should only buy a tested, complete system, unless the price is sooooo good that you can try to ebay the project together. Judging from the cost of RISO rips, I would attempt a ebay option if time was not a factor-