Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

SC7700 possible hard drive problem

hi, one of my sc7700 units died on me yesterday, the 3 lights stayed on and unit wouldn't switch off, though i had been using it throughout the day. i swapped out various componants, ie ram, processor, etc. then when i swapped the riso controller card with one from another unit the sc booted (& beeped) but got stuck with green light and red light flashing fast.
    I'm presuming that this is because the riso controller and hard drive are matched and need to be replaced together, which will obviously cost a fortune for a 10year old unit.
    so i'm thinking that the hard drive is knackered, and i'd like to try and clone it to a new hard drive..
    what i'd like to know is does anyone have any experience of doing this? and what filesystem is the sc hard drive formatted as?
    the sc7700 tech manual is pretty useless
    any help appreciated

Service Manager 250+ Posts joelsa12's Avatar
    I have an SC-7700 that works and is for sale.... any interest? I would sell it cheap. I have a SC 7950 as well that can be sold cheap as well. Let me know.

Joel

Technician
    would be interested but i'm in UK let me know what you want for it
    mark

Service Manager 250+ Posts joelsa12's Avatar
    a couple hundred bucks would do it. what would you pay for it? i rather it be in use then in my warehouse gathering dust.

Technician

Fixed - Bad power supply!

Just a quick update for anyone who might find it interesting or useful!

After cloning the hard drive (the SC7700 runs Linux, has a LILO bootloader and a bunch of FAT16 partitions) inside the SC7700 and still getting the same error (stuck on 3 lights, no beep) I thought that it may be a problem with the motherboard (after all the SC7700 is just an ancient AMD chipped motherboard) - as to turn the SC7700 off i had to press and hold the power button for 5 or so seconds.. just like a problematic pc!

took everything apart, all the cards, memory, processor etc, lifted out the motherboard and cleaned all the dust and crud off it carefully with a small paint brush.. put it all back together, then, as i had a few old pc's lying around, swapped out a similar power supply from a pc case, stuck it in the SC7700.. powered up and voila!

so far the SC7700 has been working all day without a problem

i did actually pick up a very similar motherboard off ebay for £2, didn't use it in the end .. but i see no reason why the motherboard couldn't be swapped if it failed..

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    I'm not into SC7700's but am into PC's. Your problem sounds very much like a ram memory failure, often caused by faulty connection.

Technician
    Yes I guess a badly seated ram module could have been part of the problem, this has happened before on another unit, though I seem to remember that the SC7700 makes a continuous beep when you turn it on if the RAM is bad

Re: SC7700 possible hard drive problem

Hi!
    I'm facing an issue here with a sc7900: the POST beeps seem to point that the unit works (Beeeeep---be-be-beep, like in my other working SC7700), but then it stays with all three lights on and nothing happens... what could be wrong?

Also, I'm trying to clone a SC7900 HD to a dead SC7700, so far with no luck, the disk is readable by my mac, but i can't make an image out of it. What OS/Software didi you use to clone it? Or is it the disk which may be partially corrupted?

Thanks for the help!

G

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    SC7700 possible hard drive problem

Re: SC7700 possible hard drive problem

Quote Originally Posted by Peacepunk View Post
    Hi!
    I'm facing an issue here with a sc7900: the POST beeps seem to point that the unit works (Beeeeep---be-be-beep, like in my other working SC7700), but then it stays with all three lights on and nothing happens... what could be wrong?

Also, I'm trying to clone a SC7900 HD to a dead SC7700, so far with no luck, the disk is readable by my mac, but i can't make an image out of it. What OS/Software didi you use to clone it? Or is it the disk which may be partially corrupted?

Thanks for the help!

G
    1) not the same model
    2) thread is 11 years old
    3) HDD is formatted in Linux apple doesn't use linux

please start your own NEW thread

after 2 years we consider a thread to be dead.