Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

RISO SC7900 Error Beep - trying to find cause. Please help!

Trying to diagnose an error beep on a SC7900 computer interface. Here is a video of it booting up:

As you can hear, there is an audible error beep and no indicator lights flashing.

I consulted the tech manual and it says:

Audio Error Signals:
    The motherboard generates signals for the speaker to indicate problems, mainly during boot up. If all is okay a short tone will be heard and the boot-up sequence will continue. However if the motherboard detects an error the speaker will sound with several 'beeps'. In this case the boot-up will halt. The problem may be with the motherboard, the processor, RAM or any device attached to the board.

I have factory reset the unit and also attempted to print a test page and no success.

I also tried to isolate the component that might be causing the issue, starting with the hard drive. Even with the hard drive disconnected it still makes the beep. I removed the hard drive completely and it mounted via USB adapter on a windows computer with no issues.

From there I removed each board component, one at a time (ethernet board, the main Riso connector board, and also RAM). Still the same beep and no indicator lights.

I checked for any other loose connectors. I also removed RAM completely and got a different longer repeating beep.

All of these did not produce anything other than the beep shown in the video above. Is there anything I am missing I can test or is this unit’s motherboard fried?

Thanks for any help or advice!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: RISO SC7900 Error Beep - trying to find cause. Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by filmplane View Post
    Trying to diagnose an error beep on a SC7900 computer interface. Here is a video of it booting up:

As you can hear, there is an audible error beep and no indicator lights flashing.

I consulted the tech manual and it says:

Audio Error Signals:
    The motherboard generates signals for the speaker to indicate problems, mainly during boot up. If all is okay a short tone will be heard and the boot-up sequence will continue. However if the motherboard detects an error the speaker will sound with several 'beeps'. In this case the boot-up will halt. The problem may be with the motherboard, the processor, RAM or any device attached to the board.

I have factory reset the unit and also attempted to print a test page and no success.

I also tried to isolate the component that might be causing the issue, starting with the hard drive. Even with the hard drive disconnected it still makes the beep. I removed the hard drive completely and it mounted via USB adapter on a windows computer with no issues.

From there I removed each board component, one at a time (ethernet board, the main Riso connector board, and also RAM). Still the same beep and no indicator lights.

I checked for any other loose connectors. I also removed RAM completely and got a different longer repeating beep.

All of these did not produce anything other than the beep shown in the video above. Is there anything I am missing I can test or is this unit’s motherboard fried?

Thanks for any help or advice!
    UPDATE: So I figured out that the yellow/green/red indicator lights are in fact working on boot up (I had to manually push them down because the wiring got bent in shipment).

Given that the lights are now working, can anyone confirm that this in fact an error beep or just a regular start up beep? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: RISO SC7900 Error Beep - trying to find cause. Please help!

Probably you know it already, but I can confirm that's the standard "everything's ok" booting beep sequence (same on sc7700)!
    Do you have by chance a copy of the tech manual and the drivers for the sc7900?
    I just got one, but it beeps constantly, something must be broken but I don't know what!

Thanks a lot,

Giulio