Currently in the Vaal Triangle area in Gauteng, South Africa

Ricoh Tech needs advice

Long story short I'm considering emigrating again and just have a few questions regarding the industry in other countries, specifically looking at New Zealand and Ireland because they would be the "easiest" options me and the Mrs have available but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lately it seems that all jobs being advertised locally want a qualification in IT, I don't have one but also never needed one.

So the question is will I be able to secure a job overseas without one or will I just be wasting everybody's time by even applying?

If I do need some sort of qualification, what is recommended? Locally everybody is looking for something like CompTIA A+ and N+ but it also seems to be a requirement for junior positions (3 years and less experience)

If an IT qualification is required to be eligible for a job does it have to be an internationally accepted diploma if a person is a foreigner or are locally accredited diplomas acceptable? Again thinking of getting my national A+ and N+ if required with cost being the main deciding factor but if needed will do the international exams.

I don't work for Ricoh directly but we do get product training and certifications from our head office, will they be accepted?

Have many more questions but these are my main concerns.

Thanx for reading and sorry for the long post

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh Tech needs advice

Re: Ricoh Tech needs advice

You should type up a resume. In that be sure to list all the "IT" related duties you have had to do. I have known copier techs that have more common sense network knowledge than a number of "IT" techs on this site. Experience is far more important than training.

Have you considered Australia? With Lagonda having recent retired, the might still be an opening for an experienced Ricoh tech.

Currently in the Vaal Triangle area in Gauteng, South Africa

Re: Ricoh Tech needs advice

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    You should type up a resume. In that be sure to list all the "IT" related duties you have had to do. I have known copier techs that have more common sense network knowledge than a number of "IT" techs on this site. Experience is far more important than training.

Have you considered Australia? With Lagonda having recent retired, the might still be an opening for an experienced Ricoh tech.
    Thanx for the info, that's pretty much similar to how it's viewed this side too for experienced techs.

The scoring system for emigration is a nightmare though and it's getting harder. While any qualification gives points age starts deducting again too so it's balancing act. Too many people pack up and leave just to return later because they could not renew their work visa and didn't qualify for permanent residence.

Thanx Australia was definitely considered but it's a bit easier meeting the requirements for New Zealand and Ireland because I have a school friend with permanent residence in NZ whom is willing to stand in as a sponsor if I can secure a job.

In Ireland it's easier because both myself and the Mrs can look for work in our respective fields where her qualifications as an EMS first responder are not recognised in NZ or Aus.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 8T2; 02-07-2020 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Brain fart