X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Free-coh
    Technician
    • Apr 2015

Salary inquiry

Just a general inquiry about what a technician with 40 years experience working on Ricoh production equipment makes. I realize it probably varies in different parts of the country...(asking for a friend of course)
  • KenB
    Geek Extraordinaire
    2,500+ Posts
    • Dec 2007

Re: Salary inquiry

I highly doubt that you will get any useful or accurate responses to that question.

Far too many variables.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Comment

• MoochPage
      Technician
      Site Contributor
      50+ Posts
      • Jul 2019

A bit dated but something 2019 Service Technician Salary Survey – Copier Careers

Comment

• slimslob
        Retired
        Site Contributor
        25,000+ Posts
        • May 2013

Originally posted by Free-coh
        Just a general inquiry about what a technician with 40 years experience working on Ricoh production equipment makes. I realize it probably varies in different parts of the country...(asking for a friend of course)
        THat depends on how good the tech really is.

Comment

• tsbservice
          Field tech
          Site Contributor
          5,000+ Posts
          • May 2007

Techs with 40 years experience should be good enough to get what they deserve everywhere. The sole fact one after so many years in the field can bend, stretch and reach out to machine is remarkable. I'm heavy biased but those people are real heroes in my eyes.
          A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
          Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Comment

• slimslob
            Retired
            Site Contributor
            25,000+ Posts
            • May 2013

Originally posted by tsbservice
            Techs with 40 years experience should be good enough to get what they deserve everywhere. The sole fact one after so many years in the field can bend, stretch and reach out to machine is remarkable. I'm heavy biased but those people are real heroes in my eyes.
            I used to have customers ask how a I could squat down on the floor to work on machines. Getting down was no problem. Getting back up was the problem.

Comment

• copiertec
              Service Manager
              Site Contributor
              1,000+ Posts
              • Jan 2016

Don't be afraid to put down what you expect to get paid, it's all negotiable. Most of the time you are put on a 90-day review period and if you as good as you think you are and can back that up with excellent mechanical, IT and communications skills your usually golden...if not you will be led to the chopping block which usually begins with "we need you to give back your company issued phone and computer" before you are politely asked to leave the building. Bottom line your either and asset or a liability, if your an asset companies do not mind paying for assets.

Comment

• iGZ1dMtk4*tQX2sy
                IT Tech
                • Jun 2023

I started off by putting down $2 above what I current was making and after 90-days I went back to them and went got approved for an additional $4 on top of my original application request. To be honest though it only works for small to medium size businesses where you know the owner. Those large companies that only go off of of percent periodic increases are ass and I stopped working for them after I hit my 5 years.

Comment

• kleankopy
                  Trusted Tech
                  100+ Posts
                  • Feb 2016

Originally posted by iGZ1dMtk4*tQX2sy
                  I started off by putting down $2 above what I current was making and after 90-days I went back to them and went got approved for an additional $4 on top of my original application request. To be honest though it only works for small to medium size businesses where you know the owner. Those large companies that only go off of of percent periodic increases are ass and I stopped working for them after I hit my 5 years.
                  As an owner of a small business, I have learned its way cheaper in long run to pay good if you have good employees you can trust. I have a tech now that I hired in 2016 that hit 6 figures last year with bonuses so hopefully, he is not going anywhere, or I will need a Ricoh Production Tech.

Comment

• copiertec
                    Service Manager
                    Site Contributor
                    1,000+ Posts
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by kleankopy
                    As an owner of a small business, I have learned its way cheaper in long run to pay good if you have good employees you can trust. I have a tech now that I hired in 2016 that hit 6 figures last year with bonuses so hopefully, he is not going anywhere, or I will need a Ricoh Production Tech.
                    Your company is only as good as its best technician make sure they are taken care of.

Comment

• Copier Mechanic
                      Technician
                      50+ Posts
                      • Mar 2023

Originally posted by slimslob
                      I used to have customers ask how a I could squat down on the floor to work on machines. Getting down was no problem. Getting back up was the problem.

I am 320 pounds and I work on copiers all day long. I struggle big time whenever I have to kneel down to replace feed rollers and other parts that are positioned in the lower section of the machine. Getting up is also hard for me.

Comment

• Copier Mechanic
                        Technician
                        50+ Posts
                        • Mar 2023

Geez, how much are you paying him exactly if you don't mind me asking? My boss pays our head technician $30 plus an hour plus health insurance. He is our best technician and us rookie techs rely on him for technical support. Be mindful, we do everything at work such as toner delivery, machine set up and installations, decommission device removal, device relocations, IT services, parts ordering, Toner stocking, parts stocking, used parts scavenging from dead machines, and etc...we are a small mom and pops dealer.

Comment

• slimslob
                          Retired
                          Site Contributor
                          25,000+ Posts
                          • May 2013

Originally posted by Copier Mechanic
                          Geez, how much are you paying him exactly if you don't mind me asking? My boss pays our head technician $30 plus an hour plus health insurance. He is our best technician and us rookie techs rely on him for technical support. Be mindful, we do everything at work such as toner delivery, machine set up and installations, decommission device removal, device relocations, IT services, parts ordering, Toner stocking, parts stocking, used parts scavenging from dead machines, and etc...we are a small mom and pops dealer.
                          WHo is it that you work for here in Hell, I mean Bakersfield?

Aug 10
                          The weather report might as well be a damn recording. Hot and sunny, Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. It's been too hot to do shit for 2 damn months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. Doesn't it ever rain in this damn town?? Water rationing will be next so might $1700. worth of cactus just dry up and blow away into the damn pool. Even the cactus can't live in this damn heat.

Aug 14
                          WELCOME TO HELL!!!! Temperature got to 115 today. Forgot to crack the window and blew the damn windshield out of the car. the installer came to fix it and said, "Hot enough for you today?" My wife had to spend the $1500 house payment to bail me out of jail. Freaking Bakersfield. What kind of a sick demented idiot would want to live here???

Comment

• Copier Mechanic
                            Technician
                            50+ Posts
                            • Mar 2023

Originally posted by slimslob
                            WHo is it that you work for here in Hell, I mean Bakersfield?

Aug 10
                            The weather report might as well be a damn recording. Hot and sunny, Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. It's been too hot to do shit for 2 damn months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. Doesn't it ever rain in this damn town?? Water rationing will be next so might $1700. worth of cactus just dry up and blow away into the damn pool. Even the cactus can't live in this damn heat.

Aug 14
                            WELCOME TO HELL!!!! Temperature got to 115 today. Forgot to crack the window and blew the damn windshield out of the car. the installer came to fix it and said, "Hot enough for you today?" My wife had to spend the $1500 house payment to bail me out of jail. Freaking Bakersfield. What kind of a sick demented idiot would want to live here???
                            I live this story whether it is truth story or not. I just moved to Bakersfield from Long Beach in May 2020 and I freaking hate it here that I wish I could go back to Long Beach NOW but unfortunately I can't because we just bought a tiny home in the Northwest.....oh guess what? Today it's gonna be 110 degrees!!! And we are stuck at home right now with our outdoor dog tied up in the kitchen. How fun!!

Comment

• onlyinnewfoundland
                              Trusted Tech
                              100+ Posts
                              • Apr 2013

6 fig, really? how much is involved in this guys day-to-day? I'm assuming you must have a machine base with thousands, and many hundreds production machines??

Comment

Working...