Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    OKI MC561 black stripes

OKI MC561 black stripes

Hi,
    I have an OKI MC561 colour LED printer. CYM are all printing fine. Black has vertical stripes.

There are 4 separate imaging units mounted in a cage. The cage is intended to be replaced as a unit, but they're pretty dear and I would like to learn more about this machine and perhaps rebuild the black unit. The counters are all low so it should be good for thousands of clicks yet.

In the black unit, I have replaced:
    - OPC drum
    - mag roller

I also emptied the toner from the black unit. The density was poor in the non-stripy area and new toner really improved this.
    Still stripy though.

This leaves the PCR roller, which I exchanged with the Cyan one.
    Still have the stripes on black.

This is an LED printer so I swapped the LED array units between CYAN and BLACK and still have the black stripes.

I've run out ideas. There's nothing much left in the black imaging unit to swap.
    Can anyone suggest what I'm missing?

Edit to add: when I take the black unit apart, the mag roller has the stripes on it which is why I changed the mag roller first, although if I rotate the mag roller, it has even coverage. It didn't make any difference. There is a metal strip which distributes the toner. I wonder if that is the culprit. Perhaps tomorrow I will swap it between cyan and black units. It's really puzzling.

Cheers,
    skelband
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by skelband; 07-11-2021 at 05:45 AM.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    OKI MC561 black stripes

Re: OKI MC561 black stripes

I also wondered if there is a way if I can check the LED unit output. It's a bit of a long shot but perhaps there is some weird comms error between the black LED unit and the main board causing a drop out where the stripes are. Seems a little unlikely though.

Couldn't find anything in the service manual to allow me to visually inspect the LED array illumination.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    OKI MC561 black stripes

What I am seeing is normally a problem with developer, not the toner which you replaced unless it is a single element toner/developer.

Could also be paper dust blocking the gap between the development roller and the doctor blade. If it is dust from crap paper you will eventually also have the same problem with CMY.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

If samples are LEF those lines/voids don't look like developer to me. This black led same as color? Are you sure image processing is same?
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    OKI MC561 black stripes

Yes swap the units and see if the defect moves with the unit. Fro the pictures it seems that the dr blade is the issue here. Use original toner as well.

Normally these units are not serviceable units, must be replaced as a whole unit
    Defects are simple, our mind is complicated

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    OKI MC561 black stripes

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzoo View Post
    Yes swap the units and see if the defect moves with the unit. Fro the pictures it seems that the dr blade is the issue here. Use original toner as well.

Normally these units are not serviceable units, must be replaced as a whole unit
    Yeah, the whole unit is usually replaced as a block. Thing is, the counts are super low and all the colours are printing splendidly.

I think the previous owner probably had some really rubbish black toner in there, evidenced by the terrible density.
    From the appearance of the toner cartridges, I think they had used bargain basement supplies which is always a mistake.
    I vacuumed it all out and put in good quality toner and the difference was obvious. I worried that the crap toner had damaged the rollers and/or drum but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Just looking now, I thought the black unit was different because it also accommodated the waste toner hopper, but I see that is only the toner cartridge. I will swap the black with a colour one to just rule out anything else external. If it is in the black unit, then it really has to be the wiper blade: there is nothing else. Perhaps the black toner damaged it somehow? (which would be sucky since I haven't seen them anywhere separately). AliExpress is the only place to get rollers and OPCs, which seem to be fairly good quality as it happens.

Thanks for the views and comments. Will report back.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    OKI MC561 black stripes

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    If samples are LEF those lines/voids don't look like developer to me. This black led same as color? Are you sure image processing is same?
    The LED units are the same part and there is one each for CYMK. They are interchangeable. If I swap black and one of the others, the output is exactly the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Worked on many OKI machines for many years.I would just replace the drum and make sure you are using OEM toner.You can swap around the leds to check them but I have not had many problems with them.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    OKI MC561 black stripes

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    What I am seeing is normally a problem with developer, not the toner which you replaced unless it is a single element toner/developer.

Could also be paper dust blocking the gap between the development roller and the doctor blade. If it is dust from crap paper you will eventually also have the same problem with CMY.
    Like slim, I suspect this is a mono-component machine like the Samsung's I used to work on. The Samsung's had a soft developing roller and a flexible S-blade to meter the mono-component toner into an even layer. Paper dust contamination collects in the S-blade, drawing void lines in the toner on the developing roller.

On these same Samsung's I had changed a few of these toner/developer cartridges, and just out of curiosity disassembled a few. All attempts to clean out that contamination were a failure. The contamination will move around a bit and even diminish if you counter-rotate the developing roller a little, but it always comes back. Even vacuuming the developing housing out completely did not catch the contamination. Replacement is the only effective option. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    OKI MC561 black stripes

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Like slim, I suspect this is a mono-component machine like the Samsung's I used to work on. The Samsung's had a soft developing roller and a flexible S-blade to meter the mono-component toner into an even layer. Paper dust contamination collects in the S-blade, drawing void lines in the toner on the developing roller.

On these same Samsung's I had changed a few of these toner/developer cartridges, and just out of curiosity disassembled a few. All attempts to clean out that contamination were a failure. The contamination will move around a bit and even diminish if you counter-rotate the developing roller a little, but it always comes back. Even vacuuming the developing housing out completely did not catch the contamination. Replacement is the only effective option. =^..^=
    OK, that sounds plausible and you're right the construction does sound very similar. It has a one part toner, soft rollers and a doctor blade although the blade seems to be fairly rigid.

I will do some further investigation this weekend bearing in mind your advice.
    Before I give up on it totally, I will take the black unit apart and spotlessly clean it all and try again with fresh toner, after I swap the black and cyan unit just to be absolutely certain about the origin of the fault.
    I did empty out the toner before but only vacuuming it out from the top. I have not completely cleaned it when disassembled.
    Like I said above, I do have evidence that the previous user's toner was very poor: perhaps it was also contaminated with other debris.

If that doesn't fix it, I guess I need to splash out on a new unit. I do have some backed up art work waiting for this machine so my patience is running out.