Senior Tech 100+ Posts

put back the screws in the correct position

hi, how do you guys indicate the screws when you dismantle a printer?

because i dissassemble a device, then when i try to put back i forgot which screws goes to which hole.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: put back the screws in the correct position

I once worked on a copier in a church and the preacher was watching over my shoulder. He interruped me and told me that he wanted me to lay the screws out in the order in which they were removed so that I could put them back in the same hole.

So, I'm tripping on this dude and I politely told him that wasn't going to happen. That upset him and he insisted that I do it his way. Long story short, I told him that the only way I was gonna do it is if my service manager told me to and that he was welcome to give him a call. And he did.

My service manager told me to put the machine back together as fast as I could and get the hell outta there. True story. I think I told this story before.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

I am pedantic about screws. I will dissemble the entire machine again if I miss a screw. Its an issue. Sometimes you need to let it go.
    No way I am setting them out in order.

KM is easy. M3 and M4. Black screws are cosmetic and goes on black, blue screws comes with instructions and red screws are no go.
    Self tapers are for metal onto plastic and self tapper long plastic onto plastic. Flange screws standard are for plastic onto mental and metal onto metal.
    Flange screws short are for metal covers onto mental. Flange screws long are plastic metal metal.
    Screws with washers are for earth wires or things that must rotate slightly before tightening like sloppy plastic rear covers.
    Shoulder screws are for expansion and contraction plastic onto metal and slight movement so normally around the fuser.
    Whatever

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts mloudy's Avatar

We have drawers full of screws and a 5 gallon bucket the techs are to put screws in when they are robbing parts off of machines in the grave yard. I also put those magnetic bowls all over the warehouse. No reason NOT to be able to find the correct screw if you misplace one. Had a tech leave to start up on his own and eventually every customer came back to us. He must have lost massive amounts of screws when working on copiers because they were full of sheet metal screws.

When I was in the field it irritated me when I followed up techs that would tighten optics screws so tight that I would have to use a straight blade screwdriver as a chisel to them to get them to break free. When reinstalling screws in the optics I never even used the handle. Just spun the screwdriver using the shaft and my finger tips. My dad trained these techs and he would always say, tighten it until you fart then give it a half turn more. I think they took him seriously.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

bout the only time you need to worry about putting a screw back in exactly the same place is when you have two different length screws of otherwise the same screw. There is a reason for the different lengths. Usually it is a matter of how far the end of the screw will protrude out the other side of what ever it is screwed into. I have seen too long a screw do things like damage a fusing sleeve or prevent the feed tray on a high duplicator from raining and lowering properly.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    bout the only time you need to worry about putting a screw back in exactly the same place is when you have two different length screws of otherwise the same screw. There is a reason for the different lengths. Usually it is a matter of how far the end of the screw will protrude out the other side of what ever it is screwed into. I have seen too long a screw do things like damage a fusing sleeve or prevent the feed tray on a high duplicator from raining and lowering properly.
    …or short something out.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

hmmmmm does your phone or tablet not take photos????

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dalewb74 View Post
    hmmmmm does your phone or tablet not take photos????
    You can take a picture of every screw as you remove them but that greatly increase the time that it takes to service a machine.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

The old fusers for the MP C3500/4500 were very dependent on the right screws going back into the right place. What I ended up doing was putting the screws into the holes they came out of in the case of covers, or laying them next to the part they were in as close to the right hole as possible laid out on a piece of cardboard. After one or two rebuilds, I had areas for each piece marked out on it to use as a roadmap.

Another thing to do is to take a Sharpie or other permanent marker and mark the screws and the unit they go into much like there are often screws not to be removed marked on an assembly.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Retired 10,000+ Posts

One treick I learned many years ago in high school auto shop was to
    1. take a small shoe box and with an ice pick punch holes in the bottom
    2. Number the holes
    3. Put the screws in the numbered holes in order as you take them out