Thread: Fiery patches?

Technician

Fiery patches?

Guys, I was wondering if it is important to re boot the fiery after you load each patch, or is this just the recomended procedure?

I get sick and tired of the 5 minutes rebooting after each patch, especially when there are 10 or more patches to load on some fiery controllers

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    I've gotten away with skipping a reboot or two, I WOULD NOT recommend it.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts
    Fiery patches?

There isn't a hurt in the world when loading mulitple patches at once. I use Command Workstation to load all the patches in one hit. That way you can select multiple files to load into the 'Direct Queue' and you don't forget which patch you are up to. After you have done that, Konica Minolta recommend you to reboot the Fiery 3 times, but twice is sufficient.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Technician
    thanks for the replies, I too have loaded multiple patches at once via CWS and they always appear in the updates list on the config page, but I was lead to belive that unless they are done one at a time they will not work???

I doubt it.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts
    Fiery patches?

It is usually not rebooting the Fiery a second time that can stop patches from working correctly, especially the patches that contain mutiple other patches within.

With some of these patches, they will install when you reboot and then appear in the Updates list, but won't be effective until another reboot.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

mogambu
    Hello All,

I'm a bit new here but saw this and thought I'd better chime in when I saw this thread.

When patches are released for Fiery, they are provided along with a release note. The release note will state whether the patch is exclusive or not. If the patch is exclusive, it must be installed by itself and then reboot the Fiery - or installation can fail and even possibly corrupt the system software on the Fiery.

If the release note indicates that the patch is not exclusive, you can apply with other non-exclusive patches and reboot only once.

If you are not getting the release notes with the patches, contact your regional OEM support center and get on them about that.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mogambu View Post
    Hello All,

I'm a bit new here but saw this and thought I'd better chime in when I saw this thread.

When patches are released for Fiery, they are provided along with a release note. The release note will state whether the patch is exclusive or not. If the patch is exclusive, it must be installed by itself and then reboot the Fiery - or installation can fail and even possibly corrupt the system software on the Fiery.

If the release note indicates that the patch is not exclusive, you can apply with other non-exclusive patches and reboot only once.

If you are not getting the release notes with the patches, contact your regional OEM support center and get on them about that.
    This is exactly correct!

Some Fiery patches are exclusive, while others are not. You MUST read the documentation that comes with each one. If you gotta reboot, you gotta reboot.

It also should be noted that you can't normally pick and choose the patches you want to install; quite a few of them require other patches to be installed first. That means that most patches need to be done in a specific order. The E7100 Fiery for the Ricoh MC6000 and 7500 is well known for this. On a new install, I once did them out of order, and "broke" the RIP to a point that it would not even boot. I had to re image and start from scratch - no fun at all...
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

AldisCurt
    Definitely see a doctor. We don't know if those small particles could've damaged your lungs like what happened during the Spanish Influenza!

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Fiery patches?

Quote Originally Posted by Edward829 View Post
    Creating quality content should be one of your main priorities as a content creator. Not only will this help you engage with readers and build a loyal following, but it will also improve your SEO and help you reach more people. Quality content should be well-researched and accurate, written in an appropriate style, and be optimized for SEO. By following these key tips, you can ensure your content is high-quality and helpful to your readers. perfecttv4you.com
    Hit the road, SPAMMER!!!!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins