Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    TOOLS TO TEST A FAX LINE

Re: TOOLS TO TEST A FAX LINE

Make a Tester
    Build yourself a simple phone line tester. ~ Total Cost $35.00
    Attach a D'Arsonval movement VOM to the back of a fax handset. wire the input=female RJ11 red & green wires to a DPDT switch (to reverse the polarity), then to the VOM/handset. This is not terribly high tech, but you can identify a really bad, out of specs phone line.

Plug the phone cord into your new tester. Check these voltages:

On Hook: -48 VDC (-42.5 to -56.5 VDC), 90 VAC
    Off Hook: -10 VDC (-8 to -12 VDC), 8 VAC
    Ringing: peak 125 VAC (110 to 137 VAC)

The polarity only matters so that your meter will deflect the correct direction. All modern faxes correct their own polarity.

If the line is out of specs, check the same voltages at the demarc (where the phone line comes into the building). If voltages are still out of specs, its the local telephone provider. If its OK at the demarc, you can be sure its the PBx.

It sounds complicated, but with the tester and a little practice you'll be out of there in 10 minutes with proof it's not your machine. That can be hard to come by.

You'll spend $200 or more for a commercial tester with these same features.

Phone Line Tester.JPG
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    TOOLS TO TEST A FAX LINE

thanks... I will build that this weekend...
    Sad To Say I Don't Have a Life
    I do this stuff on the weekends too

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by n25an View Post
    Ok... I had an issue today with faxing...
    I installed a fax card in a km 4035... I tried sending 1 page fax... It worked... I tried recieving a 1 page fax it worked... I then tried sending a longer fax... It died...

So i switched out the fax card... I went through the whole routine from before and everything worked... I then send a 76 page fax and it worked... Customer send a 40 page fax and it worked...

The next day customer was unable to send faxes...
    If two fax cards give same error then its not fax card...
    Eventually after multiple tests i was able to get the fax to send a fax but it was interupted with an error code... I asked kyocera about the error code... And they told me it was a bad line...

I did not believe this was the case because the customer has point of sale equipment connected on the line and this equipment worked perfectly... Processing visa and master cards...

I checked it with a phone line... But no static... It was clear... No static...

I know it is a phone line issue...

I am wondering if there is a tool that i can purchase or recommend to my employer that can detect phone line faults as they relate to fax machines...

Any help would be appreciated...

I have been working with faxes for years, unless your fax board dies (which should be obvious) 99% of the time your problem is the phone lines or the customer/user.

You said it yourself two fax boards exhibiting the same failure mode points to another problem.

Turn off ECM and drop the baud rate setting down to about 9600 see if you have success.
    Tell the customer they need a dedicated POTS line if the problems continue.

Blackcat has it right on the nail, doubt anything you could buy would be more efective and faster to use.

One other thing i tought i might add... i know its not a tech all that used/spreaded in the US... but anyways... xDSL internet connections.
    Here we have cable... tho dsl is widely used too, wich is nothing more than a high speed digital connection over a POTS line.
    dsl works on a much higher frequency than the regular analog fax/phone, but to make things more secure they usually install a T filter with 2 "exits" on the phone line, 1 goes to the modem, other goes to the phone, fax, whatever... I've had many cases where it was simply the filter that went bad and was causing interferences, both on the internet and fax.
    The first question i always ask is, do you have any other equipment using this phone line? and what internet do you use?

This more than likely doesnt apply to your case, but just tought i'd put it as it may someday apply to someone else.

in case both transactions fail. The only solution is to have each device on its own dedicated line

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts mloudy's Avatar

I know nothing of POS systems but could it be chattering or "phoning home" randomly? Like communicating at times even though it isn't in use?

Unfortunately we still have to drop in a stand Lone fax a couple times a year to prove to a customer it isn't our equipment hat is at fault. This is the normally easiest and quickest way to be done with a phone line problem.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    TOOLS TO TEST A FAX LINE

If no one mentioned it print out your communications report some machines give the error codes.

Its no the board, its the line provider or the machine on the other end. Some cheap faxes also run out of paper on reception and have limited memory.

I would only slow down the transmission speed like someone mentioned to 9600 bps.

Quote Originally Posted by frogzop View Post
    in case both transactions fail. The only solution is to have each device on its own dedicated line
    i hope it will work. Roblox Guides get-mobdrovip.com

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    TOOLS TO TEST A FAX LINE

Print your transaction reports and see what is happening, there should be codes and notations.

I know on Xerox there are.

Also someone on the other end could be hitting stop if they don't want the document again. If no memory on receiving end paper could be running out and then filling any memory if any receiving end has.

Call your cell phone from the fax and see if you hear any line interference.

Don't make it any harder than it is. After 75 pages straight something is bound to interrupt a phone line.

If you need to prove to the customer its not your unit get a pbx for dialing and bring a small fax and send 200 pages to your unit or whichever way you are having problems.

GL
    Last edited by 40yearsplus; 08-16-2021 at 08:53 PM. Reason: wrong number of pages

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    TOOLS TO TEST A FAX LINE

You can also change the dialing method on those Konicas but that would only be tried if you can not dial out period.