surplus parts for Sharp copiers 15+ years old - trash or treasure?

I was a service tech for a small town office equipment dealer for many years (oldrn on this forum). Among the many things we sold & serviced were smaller B&W Sharp copiers such as the AR-152,207,257,455. When the business closed (7?) years ago, I was allowed to take the parts and service manuals for those models. If I would not have taken these, they would most likely would have been thrown out. As a small business servicer, I had a relationship with my customers that I wanted to be able to service their machines if no other company would come into our area to fill the void. Another company did take over the service of our former customer's machines that met those customer's satisfaction.

Those parts are taking up shelf space. For many years I kept putting off doing anything with them. So the question is if I should just send the parts to the landfill. Sharp used parts in replacement AR-M and MX -M models as models were retired but I have no idea when these might have last been used. I have Sharp & Katun parts & supplies such as drum cleaning blades, fuser rollers, pawls, & bushings, paper feed rollers & clutches. I am still employed & don't have the time or energy to list all that I have. COVID, shipping costs, and the age of the parts may make it best to just bag them up & put them out with next week's trash.

I live in northeastern Ohio if that makes any difference in your answers.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Re: surplus parts for Sharp copiers 15+ years old - trash or treasure?

I worked on the original sharps when they first came out 710,810,820 and too held onto parts for way too long.
    IF there is no market for it overseas then time to recycle it in the metal recycle bin..
    I have 6-7 crates of ricoh parts i have opened in 5 years i need to do the same clean up

Thanks. You had me nervous for a minute when I saw that there was a reply. Yesterday I sent the majority off to the landfill. I did keep a few MX-312NV that I was surprised to find. Next week the remainder will go as well.

Congratulations on surviving to this point in 2020. Hoping & praying that 2021 will be a better one for all.

i hear you..
    i am in nyc region and besides the covid they got people killing each other and wackos pushing people onto moving subway cars.......
    I have to amp myself up just to get into manhattan..
    The lack of business gave me time to fix my tools,buils some furniture and finish my full house renovation.........
    it sue beat dying........stay safe

Quote Originally Posted by even_oldr_now View Post
    Thanks. You had me nervous for a minute when I saw that there was a reply. Yesterday I sent the majority off to the landfill. I did keep a few MX-312NV that I was surprised to find. Next week the remainder will go as well.

Congratulations on surviving to this point in 2020. Hoping & praying that 2021 will be a better one for all.
    i cant see 2021 being worse than last year....I am every day thinking of just moving on and look to retire and relax out of new york...
    Not an easy decision but my city where i was born"manhattan" is no longer what it was...
    A bunch of privileged pussies trenched in.............