Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Graphic Card for 4k?

Graphic Card for 4k?

I'm on a new project and that is building a virtual pinball machine. It's difficult to know exactly where to start but I know that the graphics card is critical because I'm going to be using a 43", 4k display for the playing field and there will be 2 other 1080p monitors in the back box.

I'm not a gamer and am not knowledgeable enough to choose the right graphics card and the price is thru the roof right now.

What's the best bang for the buck?
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Technician

Re: Graphic Card for 4k?

Hiya bud,

Can't give you an answer regarding PC parts but I wonder if you'd actually used a virtual pinball machine. Only reason I ask is that if you're into the real deal you might be a tad underwhelmed. At least I was. I'd been messing around with virtual games and 'sims' for ages and had a quick go on a full size digital one... The amount of games you can load on is awesome, but something about the physics I've come across just isn't quite there to let me enjoy it. Maybe in the future though?

Have a go on one if you can first, then buy the bits

I can say that the games I've tried have run fine on my RX 480, but not with 2 other monitors and 4k, so sorry not much help

Graphic Card for 4k?

Quote Originally Posted by MBZ6301 View Post
    Hiya bud,

Can't give you an answer regarding PC parts but I wonder if you'd actually used a virtual pinball machine. Only reason I ask is that if you're into the real deal you might be a tad underwhelmed. At least I was. I'd been messing around with virtual games and 'sims' for ages and had a quick go on a full size digital one... The amount of games you can load on is awesome, but something about the physics I've come across just isn't quite there to let me enjoy it. Maybe in the future though?

Have a go on one if you can first, then buy the bits

I can say that the games I've tried have run fine on my RX 480, but not with 2 other monitors and 4k, so sorry not much help
    I've never played virtual pinball but I used to love to play the real thing when I was a kid but a real pinball machine runs about $8k for a good one and I'm not gonna do that.

I've watched a lot of videos on VP and they have have things like solenoids and and other parts that give the feel of playing a real pinball machine...or so they say. But that can also run into a lot of money.

I've put the project on hold for now as I'm wiring up my entertainment system.

Thanks for responding.

Talking Re: Graphic Card for 4k?

Quote Originally Posted by ToniYork View Post
    I think AMD 6600 XT would be a good option. At high settings you will be able to play.
    I think you need to take a card with a margin. Needs are constantly growing

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

I think the pinball games are not that demanding but I'd aim at least for >60fps framerate.
    If you want the best experience you should aim for 120fps but that requires more expensive panels
    and graphic cards.

RTX3070 or 6700XT should do the job for 60 fps and high settings.
    If the game supports raytracing you might have to pick a RTX3080 or better.

I own a RTX3070 (with an AMD5600X + 32GB Ram) - if you need me to run a test I can try.

Edit: OK I just see this topic isn't new

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    I think the pinball games are not that demanding but I'd aim at least for >60fps framerate.
    If you want the best experience you should aim for 120fps but that requires more expensive panels
    and graphic cards.

RTX3070 or 6700XT should do the job for 60 fps and high settings.
    If the game supports raytracing you might have to pick a RTX3080 or better.

I own a RTX3070 (with an AMD5600X + 32GB Ram) - if you need me to run a test I can try.

Edit: OK I just see this topic isn't new
    you understand that for 120 frequency you need a special monitor that supports such a refresh rate

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger32 View Post
    you understand that for 120 frequency you need a special monitor that supports such a refresh rate
    Yes, I own one - actually my telly I'm using does 120hz@1080p wich is good to reduce input lag even if the game runs around 60fps.
    I mentioned that this requires more expensive panels. If I have to buy new stuff today I also would look for a VRR/G-Sync compatible devices.

Technician
    Graphic Card for 4k?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I'm on a new project and that is building a virtual pinball machine. It's difficult to know exactly where to start but I know that the graphics card is critical because I'm going to be using a 43", 4k display for the playing field and there will be 2 other 1080p monitors in the back box.

I'm not a gamer and am not knowledgeable enough to choose the right graphics card and the price is thru the roof right now.

What's the best bang for the buck?
    Things to bear in mind is the different ports on the card itself, Most modern cards have both DisplayPort or HDMI. You would use the HDMI for the 4k monitor but the DisplayPort's can also manage that resolution. You will also want to make sure that the card is at least 4GB GDDR5. If you have a budget, i would recommend a GeForce RTX3050, it has 8GB GDDR6 and has HDMI 2.1 and DisplayPort 1.4a both of which can handle up to 4K @ 120hz.

I would love to see photos of this when its completed.

Graphic Card for 4k?

Quote Originally Posted by Adamano1 View Post
    Things to bear in mind is the different ports on the card itself, Most modern cards have both DisplayPort or HDMI. You would use the HDMI for the 4k monitor but the DisplayPort's can also manage that resolution. You will also want to make sure that the card is at least 4GB GDDR5. If you have a budget, i would recommend a GeForce RTX3050, it has 8GB GDDR6 and has HDMI 2.1 and DisplayPort 1.4a both of which can handle up to 4K @ 120hz.

I would love to see photos of this when its completed.

I finished the virtual pinball machine some months back. I ended up going with the Nvidia Geforce 1060 (6GB). It's a 1080p card, not 4k, but the graphics are outstanding. I'm using all 3 ports as the build required 3-monitors.

Little did I know back then that this would be the easiest part of the build. Between all the software and hardware, it was a HUGE job.

Technician
    Graphic Card for 4k?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I finished the virtual pinball machine some months back. I ended up going with the Nvidia Geforce 1060 (6GB). It's a 1080p card, not 4k, but the graphics are outstanding. I'm using all 3 ports as the build required 3-monitors.

Little did I know back then that this would be the easiest part of the build. Between all the software and hardware, it was a HUGE job.

My mistake for not paying much attention to your original post date!

Looks incredible