Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    just one copy?? 500+ Posts
    First time you were exposed to games

Re: First time you were exposed to games

I had an AtariST. Some of the more memorable games were Arkanoid, OutRun and The Hunt For Red October.

PS Reminiscing of a time gone by, today is my 11,000 day on this earth.
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

I can remember my dad taking me to arcades in the late 80s, early 90s.. Had friends that had NES. I thought it kinda sucked, then I got SNES this was around like 92 or so.I even had an old hand me down Atari 2600, don't know whatever happened to it. I had the original Playstation and a PS2. Played computer games on Mac and PC through out my child hood. Then mostly PC games into my teens.

I can remember in middle school we used to sneak in floppies with Doom and Wolf3d and play them on the school computers.. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by CompyTech View Post
    I can remember my dad taking me to arcades in the late 80s, early 90s.. Had friends that had NES. I thought it kinda sucked, then I got SNES this was around like 92 or so.I even had an old hand me down Atari 2600, don't know whatever happened to it. I had the original Playstation and a PS2. Played computer games on Mac and PC through out my child hood. Then mostly PC games into my teens.

I can remember in middle school we used to sneak in floppies with Doom and Wolf3d and play them on the school computers.. Good times.
    Floopy disks with Doom. That is old. Doom fit on a floppy disk? 1.44MB? I'm only familiar with the 3 1/2", not any of the larger versions.

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phrag View Post
    Floopy disks with Doom. That is old. Doom fit on a floppy disk? 1.44MB? I'm only familiar with the 3 1/2", not any of the larger versions.
    Yes, I had the shareware version it wasn't very big. But I think we had a couple disks. I can't remember, it was back in 6th grade lol. Teacher simply just told us we couldn't play it if we got caught. Now a days there would be a lot graver consequences.

the 1.44 was the small diskette. Larger ones were on the "old" pcs in the "computer lab" there was also Zip disk, similar to floppy but fatter.

Quote Originally Posted by CompyTech View Post
    Yes, I had the shareware version it wasn't very big. But I think we had a couple disks. I can't remember, it was back in 6th grade lol. Teacher simply just told us we couldn't play it if we got caught. Now a days there would be a lot graver consequences.

the 1.44 was the small diskette. Larger ones were on the "old" pcs in the "computer lab" there was also Zip disk, similar to floppy but fatter.
    I Know of the 5" floppy's, but I never ever saw one.

When I was in highschool, we used to take games in on USB drives. These days, you can't do it unless you unplug the computer from the network, or so my little brother tells me. The IT guys get smarter every year hahah.

Technician

Sinclair spectrum with tape loading. You would have about 3 tapes to install a game and it would get to the last one and crash - well annoying!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

My first exposure to "computer games" was playing Oregon Trail on a teletype hooked up via telephone coupler style modem to a mainframe at the U of M. around 1977 or 78. Obviously a text only adventure that would have you typing "Bang", "Pow", or "Blam" as fast as you could to fight off Indians or hunt.

First video game, in the same summer school class a year later, was a star wars game where you and a friend would shoot down tie fighters, each controlling either the X or Y axis of the targeting with paddles. Think that was on an Apple II.

Then in high school, owned an Apple IIe and played games like Drol, Starblazers, Arkon, and Ultima. Ultima, don't remember which one in the series, came with 5 or 6, 5 1/4 floppies that you would have to constantly switch out (no hard drives back then ) depending on where you were in the game world. Made the Duo-Drive so worth it.

Technician

Well there is some useful information which helps people a lot. Thanks for sharing.

Man About Town 250+ Posts CanonSco's Avatar

My first memory of gaming was one of these bad boys -

$_12.JPG

On a holiday to Mainland Spain, found in a lobby of some hotel in the Costa del Sol circa 1982.

Pumped many many Peseta's into it.
    Yes, I am a nerd.
    Gaming PC - check. Raspberry Pi - Check. Custom ROM on phone - check. Thick glasses - check.

Technician

I have been a gamer for 27 years now. It all started for me with a Spectrum+ 48K

There was a show on TV in the UK called How Video Games Changed the World - its been added to youtube here, it is very interesting esp if you, like me started out with them so long ago -