Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

First time you were exposed to games

What was your first exposure to video games?

I remember the first game I played was pac-man on a handheld device. I was addicted to the thing.
    pacman.jpg
    I don't exactly remember when it was though. I was born in 1990, and I think it was sometime before 2K came around, or maybe just after. I remember the room, and house I first played it in too.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

Re: First time you were exposed to games

The first game I played. It was called "Pong". There were 8 levels or so. I think this was in the late 70's. Real High Tech equipment in those days...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1968 View Post
    The first game I played. It was called "Pong". There were 8 levels or so. I think this was in the late 70's. Real High Tech equipment in those days...
    Ahhh. Pong. I've played that; although my modern gamer mentality finds it thoroughly boring now. Spawning and running into a hail of bullets repeatedly is the thing these days.

Early 80's my family introduced me to Atari...I was only in kindergarden and staying with my great grandmother for a while...but that old woman could kicks some butt on Ms Pac Man and Megalomania on Atari....of course how many people can say that as a very young child they have sat and watched Cheech and Chong movies with their great grandmother on the old big laserdisc movies.....
    "In a cruel and evil world, being cynical can allow you to get some entertainment out of it."

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Pong in the early 70's on Dad's 1st color TV................................................ ............
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

This Space For Rent 100+ Posts JimHegs's Avatar

My Dad won a door prize at a convention back in the 70's, it was the original Pong and I'll always remember everyone in the neighborhood crowding into the living room of the house to watch my older brother play. It reminded me of the pictures you see of people crowding into living rooms in the 50's to watch the first TV's.

Follow me on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/JimHegs

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Exok's Avatar

My first was this 4 game combo that I had hooked up to my BW TV. It was mostly pong but it also had a gun that you would shoot at the TV to try to hit a white box that bounced all over the screen. I can't remember what it was called.

Here was my next game machine.

800px-Magnavox-Odyssey-2-Console-Set.jpg

Magnavox Odyssey 2

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1968 View Post
    Damn, that was high tech. That, and Pac Man. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

I forgot about "Pong", we did have that back in the day. But after that broke I guess the next time I started with video games was when I bought my first computer, a Tandy 1000 (SX?), put a 20 MB "hard card" in the thing and got a DOS game I think was called "Space Quest, Trade routes of (something or other)". A neat Scifi adventure game that had graphics better than "Asteroids"! I played the heck out of that, and that was the progenitor of my playing scifi games, ending with Command And Conquer, Starcraft, and my all time favorite, Descent.
    Dang, I need to fire up Descent again. Thanks for reminding me about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    I forgot about "Pong", we did have that back in the day. But after that broke I guess the next time I started with video games was when I bought my first computer, a Tandy 1000 (SX?), put a 20 MB "hard card" in the thing and got a DOS game I think was called "Space Quest, Trade routes of (something or other)". A neat Scifi adventure game that had graphics better than "Asteroids"! I played the heck out of that, and that was the progenitor of my playing scifi games, ending with Command And Conquer, Starcraft, and my all time favorite, Descent.
    Dang, I need to fire up Descent again. Thanks for reminding me about that.
    Well after pacman, I graduated to Yoshi's Story ( I remember you could eat watermelons and spit out seeds as bullets to get rid of monkeys that tried to steal Mario off your back.) Mario Paint, and Arkanoid. Then I got my Nintendo 64. Mario Kart, Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie, and Star Fox
    untitled.png

I skipped the PS1 phase, and got a PS2. Don't remember much. I think San Andreas was a popular one. Now I own a PS3, XBOX 360 and a great gaming PC. ArmA 3, GTA V, GTA IV, Rome II, Supreme Commander.

Technology has come a long way in a short time.