Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Constant cleaning then misprint error during print jobs

HP LJ 300...The copier will be running a job then after a few pages it will start a cleaning cycle then shows misprint error (hit OK) then initializes. Then the copier will run OK for a few more pages. The error history shows 54.2100. I haven't looked it up yet. Any ideas will be very helpful. This has been an ordeal for the customer. Thanks in advance

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Constant cleaning then misprint error during print jobs

Communication issue between the Laser Scanner and the DC Controller. Service manual says:

54.2100 Beam detect (BD) error If the error persists, replace the DC controller.
    If the error persists, replace the product.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doug James View Post
    HP LJ 300...The copier will be running a job then after a few pages it will start a cleaning cycle then shows misprint error (hit OK) then initializes. Then the copier will run OK for a few more pages. The error history shows 54.2100. I haven't looked it up yet. Any ideas will be very helpful. This has been an ordeal for the customer. Thanks in advance
    beam detect error, which is usually bad laser unit, looks like the laser unit can't be replaced.

prntrfxr beat me to it

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    Communication issue between the Laser Scanner and the DC Controller. Service manual says:

54.2100 Beam detect (BD) error If the error persists, replace the DC controller.
    If the error persists, replace the product.
    Thanks so much for the feedback. It's looking like I am dealing with a paper misfeed error and the beam detect error was an earlier fault. Possible from re-furb cartridges. I am having the customer run paper out of MFP to verify.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Laser detect errors from refurb ctgs? Not very likely.

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    Laser detect errors from refurb ctgs? Not very likely.
    I was wondering about that myself. Not really sure why it gave the error that is on the log sheet. It does turn out that the customer doesn't have a problem when running paper from the MF paper tray so it looks like a tray 1 feed tire problem is causing their immediate problem. I think the confusion is when the copier has a paper timing error it doesn't show a "paper jam" rather it says "misprint"

Whenever there's a 'misprint', the paper timing is off somehow. So, the machine assumes that it made print while there was no paper there, getting toner all over the transfer stuff. That's why it runs a cleaning sheet through right afterwards. Replace tray 2 feed roller, and it'll be fine.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doug James View Post
    This sounds like it describes your problem; pics are terrible, clear your event log, as to verifiy the 54.2100 error is not happening. as a beam detect error can cause the misprint error message, since it deals with timing. as the laser start timing and the paper feed timing as to line up.

HP Color LaserJet CP2025, CM2320, Pro M351/M451, M375/M475 MFP and M476 MFP - Cleaning Mode: Misprint Press OK to Continue

Issue

Users may experience the following symptom when sending a print job to the printer:
    The printer will go into a cleaning cycle then display Misprint, Press OK to Continue on the control panel.
    There are a few different possible causes:

• The pick roller
    • Media
    • Environment
    • User's printing workflow

Below :
    Mispick1 shows the flat spot worn into the pick roller, while Mispick2 shows the contamination the pick roller.
    Mispick1 :

Mispick2 :

Solution

The following are recommendations for printers that have Misprint failures:

• Inspect the pick roller for contamination and excessive wear (flat-spot), as seen in callouts Mispick1 and Mispick2, above.
    • Replace the pick roller as needed.
    • Check media weight and type, to verify that it complies with the printer's supported media guidelines.
    • Check the print job work flow for media type and size, ensuring they match:

• Verify media size and type selections in the application and driver.
      • Check the control panel/EWS settings for correct media size and type.

NOTE: Option 4 describes the hierarchy that needs to be verified: application overrides print driver - overrides printer control panel settings.

These devices do not have paper size sensors in the trays. If user leaves the application set to ANY/ANY for size/type, this can cause the misprint error, as the printer will not understand what media is being asked for. Make sure the application is set to pull by size, or source, and that the trays are set to the actual media loaded, on the control panel/EWS. For example; tray 2 letter/plain.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman28 View Post
    This sounds like it describes your problem; pics are terrible, clear your event log, as to verifiy the 54.2100 error is not happening. as a beam detect error can cause the misprint error message, since it deals with timing. as the laser start timing and the paper feed timing as to line up.

HP Color LaserJet CP2025, CM2320, Pro M351/M451, M375/M475 MFP and M476 MFP - Cleaning Mode: Misprint Press OK to Continue

Issue

Users may experience the following symptom when sending a print job to the printer:
    The printer will go into a cleaning cycle then display Misprint, Press OK to Continue on the control panel.
    There are a few different possible causes:

• The pick roller
    • Media
    • Environment
    • User's printing workflow

Below :
    Mispick1 shows the flat spot worn into the pick roller, while Mispick2 shows the contamination the pick roller.
    Mispick1 :

Mispick2 :

Solution

The following are recommendations for printers that have Misprint failures:

• Inspect the pick roller for contamination and excessive wear (flat-spot), as seen in callouts Mispick1 and Mispick2, above.
    • Replace the pick roller as needed.
    • Check media weight and type, to verify that it complies with the printer's supported media guidelines.
    • Check the print job work flow for media type and size, ensuring they match:
      • Verify media size and type selections in the application and driver.
      • Check the control panel/EWS settings for correct media size and type.

NOTE: Option 4 describes the hierarchy that needs to be verified: application overrides print driver - overrides printer control panel settings.

These devices do not have paper size sensors in the trays. If user leaves the application set to ANY/ANY for size/type, this can cause the misprint error, as the printer will not understand what media is being asked for. Make sure the application is set to pull by size, or source, and that the trays are set to the actual media loaded, on the control panel/EWS. For example; tray 2 letter/plain.
    Thanks so much, the feed roller fixed it right up...

Bringing this up again because I have a machine with the same problem... I replaced the PU roller, but the problem reappeared after a few weeks. I'm going back in soon with a feed motor--I'd heard they can cause this problem some times. I'll report the results.