Technician

Designjet 815mfp / Designjet 4200 Touchscreen PC

Hello again,

With the tremendous help from Kiran, I was able to get my system up and running -- but always wondered about the touch screen.

I can upgrade to a newer version of JetImage that will run with newer hardware and operating system (for about $600ish)... The original PC that came with the unit runs Windows 2000 Professional. Since this is an OEM version, you cannot upgrade it just by popping in a Windows XP disc. I have the recovery discs (Windows 2000), but was wondering if that particular computer ever had an image created to run Windows XP.

I heard that the scanner, which is the equivalent of a Contex Crystal Tx 40 had a USB interface as opposed to the Firewire one. Any chance anyone has that laying around and they'd like to sell?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Technician

Re: Designjet 815mfp / Designjet 4200 Touchscreen PC

Well, since I can't edit the previous post...

Figured it out. Thanks for those who viewed it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

You gonna share?

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    You gonna share?
    I was trying to upgrade an OEM version with an OEM version. You have to have a retail copy of XP in order to upgrade. A friend had one he wasn't using anymore.

It took a while for the installation, but it runs great. I think the only thing I had to do before installing XP was, at a DOS prompt; net user administrator /active:yes The first time around, for whatever reason, it didn't like the bcc and bccadmin accounts -- it wouldn't give me admin rights, maybe a fluke? :/

Attach a USB mouse and update the ELO Touchscreen drivers as the ones from Windows 2000 will not work...if you touch the screen it'll just beep madly at you. You want to use driver version 5.5.3 for Windows XP. You may have to tinker with the settings, URL below. At the drop down, select Windows XP (32/64-bit). 5.5.3 should be the second one down. I can't remember if I had to select what kind of interface it was -- but if it asks, it's the serial one.
    EloTouch Solution | Support | Driver Download

The PC is your typical one shipped with the scanner. Pentium III 850MHz, 256 megs of memory, etc, XP runs fine on it. I would recommend disabling automatic updates, they'll drive you up the wall with the constant reboots.

I was able to do the scanner maintenance and scanning works perfectly. I haven't had a chance to run the 800ps printer yet (out of paper), but the drivers are installed so I don't foresee any issues.