Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

4250 Jamming from tray 2

Hi Guys,
    I have a 4250 that is intermittently jamming from tray 2. I have replaced the feed rollers, checked for anything blocking the paper path, and checked the feed solenoid for sticking. I did notice that the pick up roller assembly keeps cycling up and down - I didn't know if that's normal. I also noticed that when the printer goes to "clearing paper path," it will run several pages until it jams again. The code I'm getting is 13.01

Thanks in advance!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: 4250 Jamming from tray 2

Sounds like the solenoid.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    4250 Jamming from tray 2

If you are able to print fine with the bypass (tray 1) try the black paper pick up arm. That part number is CR1 3352-000CN. I will also say that fuser for this model makes the machine act off sometimes in ways you wouldn't expect. If you have access to another 4250 in the office, I'd swap fusers and see what happens.

Good luck!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

You replaced the feed/sep rollers, but did you replace the PU rollers?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I did replace the pick up roller, Engle.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

where in the printer is the paper stopping when it is jammed ?. Is it at the same place or at different points. I have repaired hundreds of these machines and found that a good cleaning and lubrication is all it needs, together with the swing plate assy if it is worn. The feed unit that sits just behind the manual or as it is also used and called tray1 needs to be cleaned and the bushings lubed with a drop or two if triflow oil. Also the torque limmiter on the tray itself can cause feed issues. Also make sure that the exit actuator is moving freely and not sticky. never had to replace or repair a solenoid on these machines, the older hp laserjet that was an issue.

Also examine the paper tray carefully and make sure the guides are in the right position and no broken parts. open and close the tray a couple of times and check the machine is seeing the correct paper size all the time. print from the bypass tray and see if it jams from there too. that actually is the first thing i would do.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thanks for the tips Subaru. I'm heading back out there tomorrow. Yes, it is jamming in the same place, right as it exits the fuser and is about to exit the rollers at the top. Also jamming in the #2 tray on a multiple run (a pcl printout).

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

This machine is kicking my butt.

I tried oiling what I could, took the solenoid and gear assembly out. Didn't see any problems. Watched the solenoid - it's working ok. It feeds from the bypass and tray three ok. Checked the pickup roller black plastic guide - looked ok. It is giving me different codes and it's jamming in different places. Codes: 13.0, 13.98, 13.02 Getting z-fold jams intermittently at the registration roller.

Cleaned sticking exit actuator sponge pads that were causing sticking. Paper tray guides all look good.

Did notice that the paper lift didn't always work unless I really pushed tray 2 hard.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Check all sensors and re assy. Also see what paper size the machine auto detects. Could be one of those switched is intermittently going.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    This machine is kicking my butt.

I tried oiling what I could, took the solenoid and gear assembly out. Didn't see any problems. Watched the solenoid - it's working ok. It feeds from the bypass and tray three ok. Checked the pickup roller black plastic guide - looked ok. It is giving me different codes and it's jamming in different places. Codes: 13.0, 13.98, 13.02 Getting z-fold jams intermittently at the registration roller.

Cleaned sticking exit actuator sponge pads that were causing sticking. Paper tray guides all look good.

Did notice that the paper lift didn't always work unless I really pushed tray 2 hard.
    BELOW Is the sequence of the print cycle for tray two. Look at the items involved. Also the tray paper size switch pcb can cause problem, if they are not working properly and causing the machine to see the wrong paper size. Also did you remove tray1 completely and clean the pre feed roller assy[behind the feed and check that the ps102 actuator is working smoothly, even though it works fine from tray3.

Printing from tray 2
    When the DC controller PCA receives print command, the main motor (M101) and scanner
    motor start rotation. When the main motor reaches its prescribed speed, the feed roller clutch
    (CL101) and tray 2 pickup solenoid (SL101) are activated. (The tray 2 pickup roller, tray 2 feed
    roller, tray 2 separation roller, and paper feed rollers are driven by the main motor rotation.)
    The tray 2 pickup roller, activated by the pickup solenoid, rotates once and picks up the media in
    the tray. The unnecessary sheets are removed by the separation roller and the media is fed to
    the pre-feed sensor (PS102).
    The sheet then reaches the registration assembly, where its skew is corrected. Then it goes
    through transfer, separation, and fusing stages; passes through the delivery unit; and is
    delivered to the output bin.

The pre-feed, top of page, and fuser assembly delivery sensor (PS102, PS103, PS108) detect
    arrival and passing of media along the paper path. If the paper does not reach or pass these
    sensors within a specific amount of time the microprocessor on the DC controller PCA halts the
    printer functions and a jam error message will appear on the control-panel display
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke