Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

ADF giving 31.13.01 code

I recently replaced the formatter board in a HP Color LaserJet MFP M577c. This corrected an issue with the printer connecting to network. It began to print just fine. The next day, I get a call from customer. They are now having a problem with ADF. Place a sheet of paper in doc feeder, press start copy and original feeds through fine. Then the ADF lift tray lowers and lifts 4-5 times and then machine stops and gives the 31.13.01 code. Today, I replaced the ADF feed tire assembly, including the double feed prevention tire. I have checked for objects that might hinder movement of the lift tray, seeing nothing. Please help.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Re: ADF giving 31.13.01 code

What if you don't put a sheet in the ADF? Will the machine copy off the glass?

It sounds like the machine thinks there's paper in the ADF when there isn't. There's probably a break in one of the wires in the wire harness that goes from the ADF to machine. It's easy to replace, if you can find one. But sometimes you have to buy the whole ADF. This could happen because you're in there moving stuff around and the weak wire finally broke at that moment.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jrob416 View Post
    I recently replaced the formatter board in a HP Color LaserJet MFP M577c. This corrected an issue with the printer connecting to network. It began to print just fine. The next day, I get a call from customer. They are now having a problem with ADF. Place a sheet of paper in doc feeder, press start copy and original feeds through fine. Then the ADF lift tray lowers and lifts 4-5 times and then machine stops and gives the 31.13.01 code. Today, I replaced the ADF feed tire assembly, including the double feed prevention tire. I have checked for objects that might hinder movement of the lift tray, seeing nothing. Please help.

This is just an issue with the adf loaded sensor flag. When you load paper into the adf, it should hit a plastic flag that then triggers the optical sensor for it to be loaded or not loaded.

Most likely the cabling is all fine and no issues there since it wasn't touched. The problem on almost all of these is the spring used on the loaded flag pops off when the user closes the lid too hard. Simple check would be to open the adf lid, use you finger and flick that sensor flag a lot of times, if it ever doesn't rebound back, the spring is bad, popped off, broken or debris in the pivots causing it to stick.

This is not a formatter issue. Replace the adf top will fix it or if you have the time, tear the lift top off and try to place the spring back. crazy glue the mount if needed so it doesn't come off again. Have this happen on a lot of these 527/577 and the newer style adf models.