Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: HP M402 accordion jamming "in cartridge area"

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    is this coming from the cassette tray? have you tried MPT?
    *Facepalm*

MPT/bypass tray feeds fine. No crinkling, no skew...but we're back to an accordion when it pulls from the cassette tray. Base model, no extra trays. I took the front off, between the tray and the registration (black piece under the bypass pickup roller), nothing weird there that I could see. Could it be the tray, or the lift motor?

If it's feeding correctly from the bypass, it isn't the registration assembly (obvious now)--I should have tried that before I called HP in the first place.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    HP M402 accordion jamming "in cartridge area"

Quote Originally Posted by techie0419 View Post
    *Facepalm*
    MPT/bypass tray feeds fine. No crinkling, no skew...but we're back to an accordion when it pulls from the cassette tray. Base model, no extra trays. I took the front off, between the tray and the registration (black piece under the bypass pickup roller), nothing weird there that I could see. Could it be the tray, or the lift motor?
    If it's feeding correctly from the bypass, it isn't the registration assembly (obvious now)--I should have tried that before I called HP in the first place.
    no worries... in the field and customer standing on your shoulders, can get anyone ( even an old timer like me ) on edge.

ok sooooo.. like other have suggested do a "stop test" " half test ". start a print job... when you hear the VERY FIRST SIGN of crinkling ... open a cover... that will stop ALL engine movement and show you WHERE it starts.

oh and show a little LOVE to the suggestions... Thank or Like a positive suggestion please.

is the separation tyres spring loaded on these models? also the plate that lifts the paper is the pressure even on both sides?

HA!

First of all, I want to thank everyone who replied. Once I finally followed the good advice found here and stopped the paper in its tracks, I was able to narrow down where the problem was occurring. [Yes, I know...."duh!"]

I am grateful for the collective mind of all the techs on this site willing to share their thoughts, tips, complaints, etc. I am also grateful for a spare printer that I could take apart and look at. Figured out the problem in about 30 seconds after I got the front off a M426. One of the teeth in the guide just above the paper tray (behind the metal plate that goes across the front, below the manual feed pickup roller) was bent out of position. That's all it was. Once it was back in position, it feeds paper from the main cassette just fine.

Thanks again for helping me think through this. Figured I'd post a followup with the resolution in case anyone else has a similar issue in the future.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by techie0419 View Post
    HA! Thanks again for helping me think through this. Figured I'd post a followup with the resolution in case anyone else has a similar issue in the future.
    '
    YES PLEASE always post the end results on any machine issue.

Congrats on getting it right!

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    '
    YES PLEASE always post the end results on any machine issue.

Congrats on getting it right!

thanks to techie 0419 & phil b. most folks do not close a thread with a result either way.

Check toner unit drive shaft, they are cheaply made and snap off.
    Lj 400 m401 are always have this issue,,, after toners are changing this drive shaft, very comin to have this happen

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Toner unit drive shaft? These are little pieces of shit printers ($220) that hardly have parts available. Why would someone spend any time trying to fix them out of warranty. Much less an obscure part like that. Do you have a part number, source to purchase and replacement instructions?