Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: HP DESIGNJET Z5400 error 8:11

wondering if this ever got resolved. Same issue with same model printer. Don't want to get the parts cannon loaded up just yet.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Hey, Don, I have no specific experience with 08:11 on a Z5400. But most of the time on the T & Z series, it seems this is most often a bad hard drive. ....of course one should probably try to clean the contacts while grounded and reseat the formatter.

What is the light pattern on the formatter? And what does the light pattern match up with in the table in the SM?

But I have seen 1 bad formatter board (not a bad hard drive but the board itself) that caused 08:11 on a T1100.

And I have seen 08:11 caused by a bad main pca again on a T1100.

I am assuming the Z5400 would be very similar to a T1100 as to what would cause 08:11.

I THINK I am recalling all the above correctly.

....I started getting HDs from LPS Computer. If you don't want to simply try a new hard drive, I think once I talked to Tim at LPS about shipping my formatter to him to troubleshoot it to make sure it was the hard drive that was bad and not the formatter that was bad.

....Of course as you know, the problem could be no communication with the front panel caused by a pinched cable or inadequately connected front panel cable at either end.
    Last edited by pbrooks259; 01-11-2024 at 10:19 AM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP DESIGNJET Z5400 error 8:11

The power supply can also be the cause of a 8:11. I'd try a HD first, power supply next. The pinched/damaged cable to the front panel can be a cause too but the front panel itself, in my experience, is not the issue.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    The power supply can also be the cause of a 8:11. I'd try a HD first, power supply next. The pinched/damaged cable to the front panel can be a cause too but the front panel itself, in my experience, is not the issue.

Kiran
    I pulled out the formatter board and turned on the power from the rear switch and can see one tiny red LED that I'm assuming is located on the PSU. Am I seeing the correct color? Should it be red or green?

Only one LED lit on the top of the formatter, #1 LED solid red (maybe amber?).

Checked the cables at the front under the touch panel and don't see any damaged wiring. Reseated the one cable that looks like a C size USB connection. Haven't taken the back casement off the panel itself yet.

Will start sourcing a hard drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP DESIGNJET Z5400 error 8:11

The damage to the FP cable is when it gets pinched underneath the EMOD by the left cover being installed. HP tapes it up against the EMOD but once removed it just sort of dangles unless you replace the tape.

The printer will power on even when it's the power supply that's the problem. I've never bothered to determine what about the PSU is not working. I think the LED is just to show it has power, not that it's working correctly.

You probably have a bad hard drive. If that's not it, then it's the power supply, IMO.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Yeah, I keep getting conflicting info on the LED light diagnosis.

Service manual says #1 LED solid on, other two off indicates the formatter needs replacing.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

For LED I only lit, I see formatter replacement is listed before hard drive replacement. Of course the hard drive is technically, I think, part of the formatter.

Seems the order should be reversed. Maybe the thinking is that if you replace the entire formatter then you will resolve the problem whether it is a bad formatter board or bad HD. But obviously a new hard drive costs less than an entire formatter board (including hard drive).

Again, for me, more often than not it is only a bad HD.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Heard back from Tim at LPS and he agrees and thinks it's a bad HD. Didn't rule out the formatter but suggested I started with the HD. Pretty sure that's the direction I'll go once I hear back from him about another question I had.

I'm going to keep trying to find a way to get a better "ear" on the hard drive while the printer is booting. So far, I still can't hear it clicking or spinning but need to get a better way to listen for it. Or to take it out and try to boot it with another computer. Not sure I have a connector to do that but still working on it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Found a cable and connected the HD to my laptop via the ESATA port. HD spins up but no other sounds. Usually you can hear the mechanics moving inside the HD but this one is silent except for the disk spinning. Ordered a new HD from Tim at LPS and hopefully will be here by Tuesday, depending on the weather. It's returnable if it doesn't solve the issue. He also has a formatter/HD combination that would be the next thing I would try. HD he's sending is pre-loaded with firmware and should be plug and play.

Shout out to LPS Computer for their parts source and ease to work with. Sent Tim my results of testing components and picture of the original HD and specs for the printer and he agreed with all of you that the HD would be the first thing to try. Since it's not a Revision B printer the HD can be installed separate from the fromatter.

I'll update later. Thanks to all who responded so far. Very helpful.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Installed new HD and got same result. "I" stays lit solid, no other lightsl, initializing stalls at 1% and then goes to error 08:11.

Something I did notice when reseating the HD; if I gently but firmly move the formatter board around in it's place while it's first booting up, I sometimes get a different led light pattern. "I" comes on solid, "II" flashes twice, then goes dark again. No difference in booting response though.

Here's a question. If I had a formatter from another printer, say a T795, and I installed that into the Z5400, would I do any damage to the printer or the formatter/HD of the 795? I know it probably won't boot as it should but would it be a way to tell if the PSU is okay? If I get a normal LED light pattern then I might be able to narrow it down to the formatter being the problem. Just don't want to destroy the T795 formatter/HD in the process.

I would be interested to hear opinions on this.