Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Color Laserjet M477 59.f0

Is this firmware a preventative measure as well, or only to recover from the error? My customer has 3 other machines of this type and I'd like to get ahead of it if this is such a common problem.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Color Laserjet M477 59.f0

I'd say preventative. Have replaced 3 of these belts under warranty on the single-function model (M452) for the same error.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

These machines are utter bags of shit. We got one back clicking on black dev drive, got replaced under warranty, the replacement machine went out in the field did 8k came back with a fucked fuser.

Claimed warranty on the replacement.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by LATechnico View Post
    You'll have to remove the belt again. On the right side of the belt, the side above the power supply there's 2 slots/openings that the white plastic guides you moved out of the way to remove the belt fit into. You can fit a flat screwdriver into each one and turn clockwise and a lever will move back and forth on the belt, position the levers in the back position before reinstalling the belt. You'll know they're in the correct position because the plastic guides will fit back in place without issue. Hope this helps, sorry if my directions are hard to follow it's a little difficult to describe.
    This ^^^^^^^ was exactly what I needed to fix mine! I'm in Tech Support for over 160 techs in the field for my company. Mine was printing only black. Engine test, Demo Page, Supply Status page, print jobs, etc... only print black. No color at all, but the secondary transfer roller is getting covered with cyan toner. A previous tech had replaced the transfer belt unit and it worked just fine for about a week, but then color dropped out. I went straight for the transfer belt since that was the last thing touched and found that one of the two locking pins above the power supply was not locked in the up position. I pulled the transfer belt to clean up the machine and reinstalled it, verifying that the pins were completely locked in the up position. I got the same results. Prints only black. I knew it had to be something to do with the pressure position of the belt but couldn't find any reference to the correct position of the two mechanisms in the belt. one for black and one for the three colors. LATechnico!! your post gave me the info that I needed. It is very touchy and easy to knock that belt unit out of position. I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. Perhaps it does. I took a pic of the correct belt pressure positions for install and am sharing it here. There are some raised marks that you can use to make sure everything is in the correct position. I rotated each coupler clockwise until it hit the correct position, but then it would jump a bit past it, so I then changed to counter-clockwise and turned very slowly. You can feel it drop into position if you pay attention. I marked the raised marks with black sharpie so they can be easily seen in the pic. There are two pressure mechanisms in the belt. One for black and one for the three colors. Each mechanism is rotated by the machine through a + shaped coupling. Each pressure mechanism has three raised marks that must be aligned properly before installing the belt in the machine. You can see these marks in the pic because I "sharpied" them. When these marks are aligned properly, the + shaped coupling should be straight up and down. Not rotated off center at all. At this point, handle the transfer unit carefully and insert it into the machine. To be sure nothing falls out of position, move the locking pins in and up to their locked position right away after installing the belt. Then go back and insert the two connectors and screw the two locks down under the fuser.

Hope this helps.....

IMG_6065(small).jpg

Senior Tech 100+ Posts BaconSteve's Avatar

These are lovely feats of engineering indeed /s. I recently worked on one that was leaving random CMYK streaks. After looking it over, I determined that the blade in the cleaning unit must either be clogged and/or worn. Since I had never worked on one before, I figured if I have to tear this som-bitch apart, it’s getting a new transfer belt assembly, not gonna mess with it. I came back with the new transfer belt kit, and was curious about the cleaning unit to see what the actual failure was. Had the blade worn out, was the auger area clogged, or both, (why not both)? As it turns out... there is no cleaner unit. WTF? 30 years in this business, have never even HEARD of a color machine without a cleaner unit on the transfer belt. Apparently the machine uses bias voltage to reclaim excess toner OR runs so effectively and efficiently that there is no excess toner to clean up? Huh? I ended up replacing the belt kit anyway, fairly certain that I was wasting my time, and confirmed by my test pages afterwards. Luckily they had a full set of image units sitting next to the machine. I had to replace all three colors, and replaced the black for good measure. Interesting...

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by BaconSteve View Post
    These are lovely feats of engineering indeed /s. I recently worked on one that was leaving random CMYK streaks. After looking it over, I determined that the blade in the cleaning unit must either be clogged and/or worn. Since I had never worked on one before, I figured if I have to tear this som-bitch apart, it’s getting a new transfer belt assembly, not gonna mess with it. I came back with the new transfer belt kit, and was curious about the cleaning unit to see what the actual failure was. Had the blade worn out, was the auger area clogged, or both, (why not both)? As it turns out... there is no cleaner unit. WTF? 30 years in this business, have never even HEARD of a color machine without a cleaner unit on the transfer belt. Apparently the machine uses bias voltage to reclaim excess toner OR runs so effectively and efficiently that there is no excess toner to clean up? Huh? I ended up replacing the belt kit anyway, fairly certain that I was wasting my time, and confirmed by my test pages afterwards. Luckily they had a full set of image units sitting next to the machine. I had to replace all three colors, and replaced the black for good measure. Interesting...
    Curious if the imaging unit/toners in the machine when it was making the random bands were OEM or Rebuilt?

We see problems with the drums arcing to the transfer belt quite often when customers use rebuilt image units. Sometimes even the OEM ones will do this too. One drum will arc and you will get a band of color at the exact same time from each drum. Is this what you had happen? There are tiny holes in the OPC coating on the drum that cause the arc. Sometimes the holes are there right from the start, Sometimes, they develop after some wear has been put on them. My guess is tiny bubbles in the coating as it is applied to the drum during manufacturing.

Yes, cool how they have a belt with just a cleaning brush and somehow it works. I think the cleaning cycle pulls toner to the secondary transfer roller. These machines are frustrating sometimes, but there are worse models out there. I know I'm in the minority here, but I kinda like this engine. This one is quiet and makes quite a nice color print and duplex too. All in such a small footprint.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts BaconSteve's Avatar

Aftermarket rebuilt junk, all of it.

Ya, that brush though, I feel like it’s not really there for cleaning. It’s very thin. My guess is its applying a light voltage for part of the process.

Technician

Aftermarket rebuilt junk, all of it.

Ya, that brush though, I feel like it’s not really there for cleaning. It’s very thin. My guess is its applying a light voltage for part of the process.

I agree. Maybe it is just discharge to prepare for next image cycle.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I know this is an old thread but I work on these machines a lot and I hate them.

As it turns out... there is no cleaner unit. WTF? 30 years in this business, have never even HEARD of a color machine without a cleaner unit on the transfer belt. Apparently the machine uses bias voltage to reclaim excess toner OR runs so effectively and efficiently that there is no excess toner to clean up? Huh?
    This total lack of waste toner got me interested so I removed a used black cartridge, if you look at it there is a box-shaped section in front of the drum. I made a hole in this with a knife and there's a browny black powder in there ahh so thats where the waste toner is. It uses voltages to pull the excess toner back onto the drum and into this compartment when its doing the cleaning process, that's why the drum / dev rollers spring apart talk about reinventing the wheel.

Did I mention that feeling you get when the transfer belt levers above the power supply break when trying to raise them?

HP should have released this machine without any parts available so no one uses them for a service contract
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance15 View Post
    Zeldaman is absolutely correct. I'm attaching the pertinent files since this is problematic for A LOT of people and should not be contained to only certain people.

Google Drive: Sign-in

Hopefully this link works.

could you please tell me how to get the file.

thank you